Old Ale with Smoked Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambleside

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm brewing an Old Ale tomorrow, and was considering tossing in 1# or less (less than 10%) of Weyermann Smoked Malt to make something a little different.

Using mainly MO, a little 2-row and some pale chocolate malt. I know this isn't to style if i throw some smoked malt in, but I like to change things up, and thought it could be interesting.

Only concern is the smoke masking the good malt flavours I have in the first place, which is the backbone of a Old Ale.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Should be fine. I can see it working, especially after a few months of ageing. 10% isnt too much, and it will fade somewhat with age.

I've used this malt at a few different percentages. A robust porter with 40% smoked (cherrywood) was very prominent (but delicious), where the imperial porter I made with 20% (blend of beech and cherry) was much less pronounced, but still noticable. Trying an oatmeal stout with ~12% Cherrywood smoked malt this weekend.

Less than 10% will just add to complexity, and give very slight smoke notes. I actually think that will go really nicely with the complex malt backbone and alcohol of an old ale. I say go for it.

I actually brewed my old ale with 1lb cherrywood smoked one month ago. Tasted awesome when I moved it to the secondary. I'll keep you posted, but I agree that it should just add to the malt complexity!

Back