Oktoberfest Taste Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmb

Reaction score
I couldn't make up my mind so I bought 6 different styles.

Picture will go here.

Here it is.

20131016_185643.jpg

Victory tastes great. Only one I tried though...

You guys have any preferences among the bunch?

Of the group, I've only had the harpoon and the paulaner. Paulaner was quite tasty :)

One of my favorite styles, love this time of year...

So far I drank the Victory (good), Brooklyn (pretty good), and the Blue Point (sort of bland).

Haven't had the others but Paulaner is great.
Tried to clone it this year for my own Oktoberfest. Going to tap the keg this weekend and see how close I got!

I wasn't thrilled with the Paulaner this year, last year I thought it was great, maybe my taste buds are changing... This year I had Hacker-Pschorr, Aiyinger, Sam Adams, Paulaner and one more but i can't remember. Believe it or not, I liked the Sam Adams the best. Weird...

Sam Adam's makes a really good Oktoberfest. Paulaner's is good too, but I question the freshness of it. Ayinger makes a super good one, maybe one of the best. I think Paulaner has a honey-like aroma and flavor, possibly from oxidation. I'd like to taste it fresh for comparison, but I'd have to go to Germany. Don't have the time or money for that, sadly. But as far as domestic versions, I think New Glarus and Sam Adam's take the cake.

Yes... freshness matters when the beer is sitting out on the shelf, displayed to sell under the lights.

I always hate the thought that a beer might be skunky from sitting out too long under the store lighting.

I wasn't thrilled with the Paulaner this year, last year I thought it was great, maybe my taste buds are changing... This year I had Hacker-Pschorr, Aiyinger, Sam Adams, Paulaner and one more but i can't remember. Believe it or not, I liked the Sam Adams the best. Weird...

Sam Adams seems to have changed their recipe in the past few years. It used to be my favorite, now all I get is a super dose of Crystal 120 that makes it syrupy. Anyone else notice this?

Paulaner is great. The Sam Adams tastes so far off from what a marzen should be IMHO

It might just be my location though :)

I've always thought the SA was very syrupy-sweet compared to a true marzen. But I do appreciate it for what it is, and it's actually my favorite SA beer. Just not authentic.

I prefer Ayinger, Wiehenstephaner, and Paulaner. Sam Adams last year was really sweet. This year it's much better.

tj218 said:
Sam Adams seems to have changed their recipe in the past few years. It used to be my favorite, now all I get is a super dose of Crystal 120 that makes it syrupy. Anyone else notice this?

I believe it was the year before all the labels changed. 09?

Ayinger is my favorite. Wiehenstephaner is crazy light.

I picked up a growler of the blue point a couple weeks ago. In draft form, it is my personal favorite marzen ever!

So far this year of had the Paul and the BB I think the BB is better.

Back