Do I have the wrong Pressure Relief Valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunshowgreg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got this new PRV from morebeer after I couldn’t find the old one in the picture. The new one doesn’t fit. The description said it’s for corny kegs. So I assumed this is what everyone was going to and I couldn’t find anyone else with the one I had.

Do I need to drill it so the hole is wider or did I get the wrong thing?

Attachments

• IMG_0905.jpeg
    IMG_0905.jpeg
    784.9 KB · Views: 0
I've never seen the "old" one. what they sent you is typical for corny kegs. What brand is your old keg? Pin lock or ball lock?

I've seen the "old" style on a couple of race track kegs that I got for free. They are increasingly difficult to source. You might be better off just buying a new lid with a standard PRV.
I still have the old O-ring that was attached to it but I wanted to replace it and couldn’t find it so when I was looking for replacement parts, this is what showed up I’m gonna try and make sure there’s no leaks on it and then I might keg today, but if not, then I’m gonna have to wait for that part to come in

I've seen the "old" style on a couple of race track kegs that I got for free. They are increasingly difficult to source. You might be better off just buying a new lid with a standard PRV.
If you're looking for "new" pull ring style, CHI Company is the place to go. The plastic threads on the ones I had were worn. I had to be very careful not to crossthread and even then, some leaked. The new ones are stainless steel. The cost of 10 of these is about the same as a lost cylinder of CO2. The gentleman is extremely helpful and he has lots of hard to find stuff.

https://www.chicompany.net/lids-parts-c-376_1_495/pull-ring-pressure-relief-valve-hole-p-18.html

I've had very good luck with CHI Company, but I'm not sure that's the right part for the OP:

Replaces the older style gray plastic P.R.V.
Properly fits only lids that have six gas vent holes in the lid

Doesn't look to me like OP's old PRV is plastic or that his lid has six vent holes.

I've had very good luck with CHI Company, but I'm not sure that's the right part for the OP:

Replaces the older style gray plastic P.R.V.
Properly fits only lids that have six gas vent holes in the lid

Doesn't look to me like OP's old PRV is plastic or that his lid has six vent holes.
I know. That's why I referred to it as the pull ring style ("New" in OP) in case someone is looking for those.

Thanks gentlemen I will keep that company in mind. Sucks if I have to buy a new lid but I’m gonna check out those PRV valves if I get them and they work I’ll update here.

I’m gonna check out those PRV valves if I get them and they work I’ll update here.
They won't work for your lid. You have what they call a "metal nut" PRV. You can see in your own photo just how different the threads and mechanism are. Good luck finding one of those. CHI Company does sell these if you really want to go the "drill the hole out" route.

OK. I tend to go to CHI Company for things that are hard to find elsewhere. PRVs for six hole lids are pretty ubiquitous.
According to CHI Company website, his stainless steel ones are made by A.E.B. Italy, not China. I'd venture to say the $2 ones on Amazon are Chinese. They may be just as good but I avoid products from that country of origin if possible. There are some other vendors that sell the Italian made but twice his price.

To be clear, I have no affiliation with CHI Company, just happy I found them for the PRVs and some other unobtainium pin lock fittings.

Back