Ok, so now I'm suffering....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
I just knew this 3 gallon batch of brown ale would be bad. I had too many bubbles of air get into the bottling wand and knew this would happen. Anyways, problem solved but in the mean time I don't want to dump a case of brown ale. Sympathy will be accepted as I dredge through another 20 bottles of cardboard beer. Cheers :mug:

Won't be offering this shyt to friends or visitors. Brew on!

Have you tried it? Is it that bad? Usually, oxidation takes some time to develop. And did every bottle have bumbles?

Have you tried it? Is it that bad? Usually, oxidation takes some time to develop. And did every bottle have bumbles?

Yep, tried it....has some cardboard flavors but not totally disgusting. I'll drink it rather than dump it. I'll rotate it with some good ones. Life and learn.

I've had one batch do the same thing, same reason, and same style, brown ale. Thankfully the wet cardboard showed up after over half the batch was gone. But I couldn't suffer through it, was my only dumper. No reason to suffer, just brew more. ;)

you really think air bubbles being sucked in from your bottling wand caused cardboard flavors? never done a brown ale.

I don't think the cardboard came from the few bubbles in your bottling wand. But to not have them again it is far easier to bottle from a spigot on a bucket. I use a 2" piece of tubing to connect the bottling wand to the spigot so it is a one handed bottling operation.

you really think air bubbles being sucked in from your bottling wand caused cardboard flavors? never done a brown ale.

Yep, I'm sure. I've brewed about 30 batches of this brown ale and this was the first time I noticed excessive bubbles while bottling. The hose had gotten stretched out on the end and didn't fit snugly around the wand. I replaced the hose and no bubbles on last 4 batches.

I even made notes in my journal about the bubbles so I kinda knew there would be off flavors. You guys are right, life is short....will probably dump the remaining 21 bottles.

Yep, it can happen, oxidation. In my case I was trying to get fancy and use a dip tube in my bottling bucket. This messed the flow up and I got air bubbles when bottling. I have quit using the dip tube long ago, it's just as easy to tilt the bucket, and haven't had an issue since.

Latest posts

Back