ok, really stupid supplies question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gildog

Reaction score
im kinda feeling like making a hopless beer, and although i know that before hops, they used gruit, and i know that gruit contains mainly bog myrtle(sweet gale), yarrow and wild rosemary. WHERE CAN I BUY THEM!?!?!?!?

ive checked my usual first try's google shopping and ebay. and even searches for gruit brewing supplies and the like and im drawing a blank.

anyone got a homebrewing supplies site that sells the individual ingredients for making gruit?

my local "spiritual supply" shop sells all those items..

thats all the help i can give

p.s. it was a shop based on effa ..so good luck there

you can bitter a beer with a lot of things, the problem arises that those thing generally dont do a good job, or create a non-stable beverage..ie. the beer doesnt store well.

now i've had the thought of using lemon or bitter orange peel on a low gravity beer just to try them out since adding peel to a normal beer really hits you with the bitterness imho.

otherwise check out midwestsupplies.com for some of those ingredients. i know they carry heather tips(used in scotland for almost 100yrs after the introduction of hops, bloody stubborn scotsmen).

thanks for the starting points, i forgot, that my lhbs is in the same town as a super hippie mecha that should have it. they have even had hops the last time i went there.

Back