Oily/waxy film from orange peels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upstate12866

Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone found that adding orange peel zest to the boil results in an oily film on the top of the fermenter? I'm curious if this is normal or if I did it wrong.

I washed 1 Walmart navel orange with soap in hot water briefly. Then grated just the orange colored outer peel. 5 min boil addition in a 2.5 gallon wheat ale.

I dipped a spoon in to examine the film and it was definitely a waxy substance, as it would not wash off the spoon with water. I tried to leave the film in the fermenter so hopefully it won't end up in the beer.

I suppose it could be orange oils, wax they add to the peel, some kind of pectin from the fruit, or even some hop oils in there too. (though this is not heavily hopped)

Any ideas what this is and how to avoid this film?

I use orange zest in a lot of recipes and have noticed the same thing from time to time. It doesn't seem to affect the beer at all, or cause any issues with head formation and retention. I buy organic oranges and wash them for a few minutes in produce wash solution, then rub the skins with my fingers to remove any wax, etc. I believe the essence in the zest has a high oil content.

Peel/zest/whatever is where the oils reside. When you add peel/zest to a beer it's those oils you want to extract for flavor and aroma. They extract with heat (not as well as with alcohol) but like most oils they do not mix well with water which is why you see it floating on top. I've brewed a lot with citrus peel and never had a problem with an oil slick remaining on top after fermentation.

Thanks for those replies! It really was a "slick" of oil, I should have tasted it just to see if that suggested orange oil or shellac wax that I failed to wash off. Perhaps next time I can actually skim it off if the top. :)

Back