OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinman13

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question on the OG on an IPA I just brewed
Ran my Recipe thrugh "Tasty Brew"
Got it was to be 1.075, I got 1.084
Recipe:
5.5G total
3.0G Boil (60Min)

1# cryistal 40 Steeped (2G @160 for 20Min)
2# Amber DME
6# Exdry DME
1# Brown Sugar

1TBS Irish Moss

1oz Northen Brew hops @ 60
1oz NB @ 30
1oz Summit @15
1oz Summit @5
1oz Summit DH

W/ IBU75
SRM 9

I have not made a beer with this much hops, can the amount of "stuff" in the wort keep the readings high?

More than likely, if you brewed with all the ingredients and ended up with the proper volume, you just got an uneven mix after topping up.

It is often difficult to mix the wort evenly. You will get either a low or high reading depending on whether you got your sample from a thin or thick portion of the mix.

I had a similar question as the OP. I cooked up a Belgian Ale kit today. The OG in the recipe was 1.055 and mine turned out to be 1.066.

Should I be concerned? BTW this is my second batch. The first is sitting in the secondary.

Was it a partial boil, then topped up? If so it was probably an uneven mix. I have done all grain brews that were quite a bit off per the recipe. I usually am able to determine the problem. I have not really worried and the beers, while not exactly what was intended, turned out very good. Yum!:D

3 gal boil
Topped up to 5.5

I know I have a mix issue with my 1st few (low OG), next 3 or 4 I hit the OG spot on (from kits)
this is my 2nd recipe

I buy a mix issue

Remember that GRAVITY is a measure of DENSITY RELATIVE TO WATER. Remember that, and you'll realize that the density must be uniform throughout the solution to get a proper reading, so mixing any topoff water thoroughly is necessary to uniformly distribute it throughout.

Back