Off flavours.... Ribena?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
So my first all grain batch attempt wasn't perfect, the yeast I used clearly wasn't up to much and way too much of the sugars don't seem to have been fermentable.

At the point where I thought it was stuck, I decided to attempt using a starter (of sorts, I only had a few hours to get some yeasties up to speed), the second half of the same nottingham pack were still not up to much so I also added in part of a pack of Munich, which was much happier. Now a week or so later the SG hasn't moved at all, I'm guessing it ate all the dextrose I added to get the starter up and running and then failed to find anything tasty in the beer.

In that week the tast has changed slightly, and the smell a lot and I can only describe the smell (and taste) as blackcurrent... actually, I quite like it, but it wasn't expected. Banana like esters, perhaps, but blackcurrant? Is this a case of different esters from different kinds of sugars? Or has something else gone on here? Has anyone else had similar tastes in beer?

Back