Odd keg line leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldManBrew

Reaction score
It is my first time hooking up my kegging equipment, and really no problems until I put the cleaning liquid, and then again later with my beer. I was getting a lot of my cleaning liquid coming out of what looked to be my threaded connection, but I tightened down the clamp and it seemed to stop. Now I am getting leaking whenever I bleed off my keg. It looks like it's coming from the underside of the liquid out post connector. Does anyone else's do this?

I just read a post on another forum, and it recommended to the poster to check to see if post was cross-threaded. I'm force carbonating the keg (48 hours at 30psi), I'm going to let it go the 48 hours, and then removing the post and putting it back on. Is this going to mess up the carbonation of my beer as long as i re-pressurize it to 10 psi after?

I just read a post on another forum, and it recommended to the poster to check to see if post was cross-threaded. I'm force carbonating the keg (48 hours at 30psi), I'm going to let it go the 48 hours, and then removing the post and putting it back on. Is this going to mess up the carbonation of my beer as long as i re-pressurize it to 10 psi after?

Naw, you'll be just fine. Do it this way:

After carbonating, disconnect the gas, vent the pressure in the keg. LEAVE THE VENT VALVE OPEN. If you vent the pressure, then close the vent valve, then take off the liquid post, you'll just get a beer fountain, as CO2 will slowly come out of the beer as it sits there at 0 PSI.

Even with 20 minutes of screwing around with the liquid post and the vent valve open, you won't get any appreciable loss of carbonation, so don't worry.

When you're done, put the post back on, shut the vent valve, purge the keg a few times with C02 (to get rid of any oxygen that might have crept in, though this is unlikely), and set at 10 psi or whatever. You'll be good to go.

Back