Checking kegs for leaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Ok, so as I am sure most of you know, I got a ton of used and homemade equipment from Bbeerme. I am still going thru it, it was about 3 boxes full as well as a homemade recirc system and a three keggle brew system with all the connections and stuff homemade. Such a cool setup and such a great dude to GIVE it all to me. Now for my questions.

I have about 10 corny kegs to go thru and check for leaks. I have bought all new Orings for both posts and the lids. My thought is, I wonder if I can get a hose for my compressor, cut it and add a QD and use compressed air just to check for leaks? I hate to use up CO2 if I don't have to and was just thinking of other ways to figure it out. Any suggestions on what I can do? Is it worth it to bring the kegs to a local welding supply shop and have them check them instead? Any suggestions are welcome. Rock On!!!!!!!!

Absolutely you can use a compressor to test kegs. I do that whenever I clean and sanitize a keg to check the poppets, mostly. Just be sure to have drained the compressor tank of any nasty fluids first, and set the pressure to something sane (I use 20 psi)...

Cheers!

Ok, so as I am sure most of you know, I got a ton of used and homemade equipment from Bbeerme. I am still going thru it, it was about 3 boxes full as well as a homemade recirc system and a three keggle brew system with all the connections and stuff homemade. Such a cool setup and such a great dude to GIVE it all to me. Now for my questions.

I have about 10 corny kegs to go thru and check for leaks. I have bought all new Orings for both posts and the lids. My thought is, I wonder if I can get a hose for my compressor, cut it and add a QD and use compressed air just to check for leaks? I hate to use up CO2 if I don't have to and was just thinking of other ways to figure it out. Any suggestions on what I can do? Is it worth it to bring the kegs to a local welding supply shop and have them check them instead? Any suggestions are welcome. Rock On!!!!!!!!
I worked on the Coca Cola picnic premix team using Corny Kegs. You need to pull out the “out” pipe , clean it inside & out. Then replace the little o-ring on the tube. Replace the one on the CO2 side also. Outside of the post rings these o-rings harden & will create small leaks. They may look fine but they may not be. As mentioned, use CO2 to test the valves on posts and the manual exhaust.

Is it worth it to bring the kegs to a local welding supply shop and have them check them instead?
Nah, they may simply pressurize to test them for leaks, which you can easily or better do yourself. You're likely to already know more about kegs' workings than they do.

My thought is, I wonder if I can get a hose for my compressor, cut it and add a QD and use compressed air just to check for leaks?
Can you get an adapter to 1/4" FFL? That would fit 1/4" MFL QDs.
If you have barbs on the QDs you could try to fit one to a hose.

Again, use sensible pressures like 20-30 psi, which is about the maximum used for beer. Mind, some pesky leaks, such around the lid may only show up at lower pressures, < 10 psi.

And use keg lube on all o-rings.

Then replace the little o-ring on the tube. Replace the one on the CO2 side also. Outside of the post rings these o-rings harden & will create small leaks. They may look fine but they may not be.
He has a good point, those diptube o-rings are often overlooked or forgotten.
The original dip tube o-rings have a square-ish profile with a split around the center. But they're hard to find. A regular round one with the correct thickness have proven to work just as well.

I pressure test mine with CO2, but in order not to waste too much, I fill them to the top with water and then pressurize and angle it upside down..any leaks will be pushing water out..makes it easy to see. Do it at low pressure, medium pressure and hich pressure just to cover all the bases.

I worked on the Coca Cola picnic premix team using Corny Kegs. You need to pull out the “out” pipe , clean it inside & out. Then replace the little o-ring on the tube. Replace the one on the CO2 side also. Outside of the post rings these o-rings harden & will create small leaks. They may look fine but they may not be. As mentioned, use CO2 to test the valves on posts and the manual exhaust.
The kit I bought has the Orings for both dip tubes and the lid I believe. I have to look at it again. In the three boxes of stuff I have there are some repair kits and look Orings as well. Either way, I am going to replace any and all rubber parts. I think the kit I have replaces the rubber on the dip tubes, posts and lid. There are three sizes so I am assuming that is the case. But, I like the idea of trying the water suggestion. I might give that a go and see. But I have an old compressor hose that I was going to cut, put a QD and a hose clamp on it and see what happens More DIY, I love that part. Rock On!!!!

I'd add advice to work on replacing the o rings one keg at a time. There are different posts, poppets and lids that are not interchangeable.
As in: keep all the parts together with the keg they come from. Yes, absolutely!

When cleaning I use 44 oz plastic cottage cheese containers (Sam's Club) to soak, wash, scrub, clean, sanitize all the small keg parts, except for the long dip tube. That tub stay with that keg until it's back together.

I'll add too to keep a log of all maintenance, cleaning, and repairs. I started with just writing things on the keg with a sharpie (old habit when repairing appliances many moons ago), then I got myself a little clip board to make these notes on. I notate everything with the faucets, lines, and kegs.

I'll add too to keep a log of all maintenance, cleaning, and repairs. I started with just writing things on the keg with a sharpie (old habit when repairing appliances many moons ago), then I got myself a little clip board to make these notes on. I notate everything with the faucets, lines, and kegs.
I started doing that, and I also put numbers on my kegs. I take note of the number in my brewing log. I figure it can't hurt if I ever need to trace an issue to a keg.

All great ideas. I am going to number the kegs and keep a log like you guys suggest. As I work on one at a time, and keep the parts with the correct kegs. I am going to look at the sides and see if there is a manufacturer on them. Very cool. Thanks all

As I work on one at a time,
Once you use more kegs, they can start to pile up. I got 6 of them waiting, right now...

I've found cleaning several kegs at a time being much more efficient. Even doing 2, saves almost half the time. When I clean 3 to 6, it comes out to around 15-20 minutes per: 2x rinse out, hot PBW clean, 2x rinse, 100% Starsan fill, CO2 purge into the next, etc. They're all at different stages of the cleaning process, moving through the line.

Otoh...my mother was strict (think "Mommie Dearest" 😮) when keeping things clean and tidy was involved. I can barely abide keeping a single kicked keg in one of my brewery fridges until a second one kicks to then clean both on the Mark II. I've caved and cleaned a single keg more often than I've let one linger 'til the next kick 😁

fwiw, I do 5 minutes on the Mark II using the hottest tap water my system can muster (brewery sink is literally wall-adjacent to the hot water tank which is set for 130°F) then do the next keg, then rinse the Mark II and refill with equally hot water before rinsing the two kegs for maybe 2 minutes each. Then I lube up the lid and post O-rings, dump a few ounces of Star San solution inside, clamp the lid, gimbal the keg to coat the insides with sanitizer, than do a quick pressure check using my pancake compressor, before setting it aside...

Cheers!

I'd add advice to work on replacing the o rings one keg at a time. There are different posts, poppets and lids that are not interchangeable.
Yep...I've had some poppets leak and when swapped to another keg are just fine.

I had assumed all ball locks are the same and parts interchangeable. Yes, they are to an extent...but with all things mechanical, sometimes 2 parts get "mated" and are best left "mated".

All the keg parts (poppets, o-rings, dip tubes, lids, posts, etc) that are sold everywhere are pretty much universal. But once they have been used a while, they can "mate" with a certain keg or complimentary part.

If you can keep them together, it's better.

I started doing that, and I also put numbers on my kegs. I take note of the number in my brewing log. I figure it can't hurt if I ever need to trace an issue to a keg.
Zactly. I took an alphanumeric punch set, a blowtorch to heat up the number, then press it into the top of the handle. Can't accidentally wash that off.
20230725_104404.jpg

Last edited:
These are pretty good for all the small parts to put in.

1690322399683.png

I have the keg's parts (one at a time as stated above) soaking in a pitcher of PBW, while I scrub the insides of the keg and liquid dip tube.

@FloppyKnockers Pretty slick idea with the number punches! I'd be tempted to use a white or silver Sharpie pen to make the numbers more visable too.

I have some old coke kegs that have not been used for a while. The worst o-ring is the ones on the poppets which were dry and brittle, so be sure to change those.
As far as using compressed air, just introduce it slow and start at a low pressure (10 psi) because if you blast it fast it is likely to seal, but if co2 is slowly introduced, that is what you are trying to replicate. of course you will need to sanitize prior to use.

I've recently been finding that I've had to replace keg posts, as just changing the o-rings didn't solve the problem. I haven't been able to identify why the old posts are leaking around the threads, but replacing them with new posts has resolved the leaking issues. Many of the kegs are at least five years old. I also keep a bottle of 'Mega Bubble' on hand to check for CO2 leaks from the 50 pound tank through my primary regulator, six secondary regulators, hoses, etc. .

Threads don't actually seal keg posts to the keg risers. All the threads are used for is to compress the dip tube downward to seal the "bottom" of the dip tube O-ring to the top of the riser, seal the "top" of the dip tube O-ring to the underside of the dip tube flange, and bulge the same tiny O-ring outwards to seal against the inside wall of the post. This is why no tape or sealant is ever used...

Cheers!

Somewhere on this site is a link to McMaster-Carr containing all the keg o-ring part numbers you need for corny kegs, in packs of 50 of each iirc. I likely have more than I'll ever be able to use. Whenever I buy a used keg I change out all the o-rings, sometimes the posts as well.

These are pretty good for all the small parts to put in.

View attachment 825549

I have the keg's parts (one at a time as stated above) soaking in a pitcher of PBW, while I scrub the insides of the keg and liquid dip tube.

@FloppyKnockers Pretty slick idea with the number punches! I'd be tempted to use a white or silver Sharpie pen to make the numbers more visable too.
I just use this since I already have it. A bit bigger, obviously, but it does work.
51bLsNWgw0L.jpg

Thanks all. I went outside and the one I am having initial problems with is labled Coca Cola and Spartenburg company. All the others seem to be 7up Corny manufactured. I seem to be having issues around the post and the PRV and lid. LOL. Like there are any other places it can come out right? I have been reading about a "racetrack" style. Is this one of them? Most have a strange looking post to them with a star like bottom. I cannot take a picture right now, but I will if I need to. Does this make any difference? I want to get this one in working order as it fits in my kegerator. Any help would be appreciated. Rock On!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Wait - if you are looking at a Coca Cola keg, you are looking at what - at least originally - was a "pin lock" keg.
Otoh, posts with a "star" (ie: 12 point) base are usually for ball lock Cornelius kegs.

The Coca Cola keg may have been converted to ball lock using special posts, just to make things interesting here :)

A picture is definitely in order...

Cheers!

You mean the o-rings on the posts?
It is the original coke poppets in a pin lock post. I did try to switch to a universal poppet but they sit too high (about 1/16 proud of the top of the post) in the coke posts.
I used value brew smaller universal poppet o-ring that fits well and seals good.
Ideally, I would change posts to all ball lock but have not found an economical set of posts to do that.

It is the original coke poppets in a pin lock post. I did try to switch to a universal poppet but they sit too high (about 1/16 proud of the top of the post) in the coke posts.
You can clip a piece (one turn or less) off the bottom of the pyramidal spring, to shorten it to the correct length.

I used value brew smaller universal poppet o-ring that fits well and seals good.
But they're silicone... having a much higher oxygen permeability than Buna-N rubber.

When I was shopping for o-rings I didn't realize there was that big of a difference in oxygen permeability. I will need to find the Buna-N next time.

You can clip a piece
Spring length mainly changes the pressure that the poppet is seated against the body, and how much it can be pushed in.
The universal poppets I tried to use look like this when seated, no matter what the spring length is.
post.jpg

I also noticed when taking this pic that a universal poppet diameter is slightly smaller than the coke poppet diameter which forces me to continue using the coke poppets for now.

Wait - if you are looking at a Coca Cola keg, you are looking at what - at least originally - was a "pin lock" keg.
Otoh, posts with a "star" (ie: 12 point) base are usually for ball lock Cornelius kegs.

The Coca Cola keg may have been converted to ball lock using special posts, just to make things interesting here :)

A picture is definitely in order...

Cheers!
OK, so I need posts to convert from pin to ball lock? I don't remember what was on there to begin with, so I can buy the conversion posts from Austin Home Brew. I have a gift card.
I will take some pics and try and add them to here.

OK, so I need posts to convert from pin to ball lock? I don't remember what was on there to begin with, so I can buy the conversion posts from Austin Home Brew. I have a gift card.
I will take some pics and try and add them to here.
There are multitude threads, depending on the manufacturer. Refer to these for some assistance.
https://cornykeg.com/blogs/resource...rands-to-determine-the-correct-conversion-kithttps://www.kegoutlet.com/how-can-i-tell-what-type-of-posts-will-fit-on-my-corny-keg.html

Crud. Wrong ones. This is the right one

Attachments

• 20230727_114000.jpg
    20230727_114000.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230727_114009.jpg
    20230727_114009.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230727_114045.jpg
    20230727_114045.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230727_114045.jpg