Gas Ball Lock Leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Spiegel

Reaction score
Took off my liquid and gas posts in order to clean out a finished keg. When hooking the keg back up, I noticed that the gas post was stuck in the "open" position, meaning the piece you pull in order to hook it up to the gas post was locked in the pulled back position. I also notice that my CO2 tank was completely empty, and it was a brand new tank. What I was wondering is if the gas Ball Lock QD could leak gas if it was stuck open like that, or if the leak was coming from somewhere else. I didn't hear any gas leaking when I hooked up my tank, and it makes sense that the whole tank could empty in the time it takes to clean and sanitize a keg.

If you need me, I'll be going to the gas store.....again.

Check your o-rings on the gas in post. I’ve lost a CO2 canister before because I didn’t catch a cracked o-ring. If you don’t absolutely know they are brand new, I would just replace them. It’s pennies, especially compared to a tank fill.

Snl Season 42 GIF by Saturday Night Live

no it doesn't make sense to lose a tank 5lb OR 20 in the time it takes to clean a keg.....

Check your o-rings on the gas in post. I’ve lost a CO2 canister before because I didn’t catch a cracked o-ring. If you don’t absolutely know they are brand new, I would just replace them. It’s pennies, especially compared to a tank fill.

But would that o-ring wouldn't have been the cause of the leak while the gas line was disconnected, right?

While disconnected, no. The pull part of the ball lock wouldn’t cause it either. Something would have to push the pin inside the ball lock for it to leak. I would double check every connection, thread, and o-ring between the tank and the keg. Chasing gas leaks can be frustrating.

While disconnected, no. The pull part of the ball lock wouldn’t cause it either. Something would have to push the pin inside the ball lock for it to leak. I would double check every connection, thread, and o-ring between the tank and the keg. Chasing gas leaks can be frustrating.

It is. Mostly because I already replaced a gasket or two that were causing problems and thought I fixed everything.

I would guess everyone with a keg system has had this happen. Good luck finding the leak.

Latest posts

Back