Objectionable Reactions to Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BWW near me (Detroit metro area) has a new menu card on the tables listing craft beers and imports. The entire top half is dedicated to Michigan craft beers. They have about a half dozen and rotate a seasonal or two through the mix. Last time I was there, they had stuff from Bell's, Founders, New Holland, Rochester Mills and maybe one other Michigan brewery. And they've always had things like Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams, along with imports like Guiness, Newcastle and others.

I haven't seen that commercial on TV, but I think it is hilarious. I don't think many people I know would be dissuaded from trying my homebrew based on that commercial. Pretty much everybody I know that is interested in beer at all has wanted to try my brews. And most people have liked them fairly well, so far.

I thought the commercial was a great caricature of how the uninformed public imagines homebrewers. I especially liked the cat and the foam taste test. Hoses everywhere and the 'chunky' beer had me giggling. The secret ingredient kinda looked like seafood salad. I liked the commercial and watched it several times. That said, I wouldn't go to a BWW anyway, they aren't local and I don't eat at chain restaurants.

I'm wondering how many people out there see that commercial and think they will give homebrewing a try since apparently you can have a batch of beer ready in "two minutes".

My father in law is a miller lite or nothing guy. Might try this just to see if he honestly doesnt like my beer or just negative.

I love this idea! Let us know how that goes...I have a feeling that blind taste tests on "blind" BMC lovers would surprise everyone!

This hits home for me too: I once poured a Bud Light can that had been in the fridge for a few weeks from a buddy's golf trip into a pint glass. I was tired of looking at it, so it was time to choke it down ;) My wife came thirsty into the kitchen and asked if she could have a drink. Now, usually I am pestering her to try different beers -- not anything too extreme because she's not a craft beer lover -- but she does have a pretty keen sense of taste when it comes to ingredients and flavors.

So she tastes it and her immediate reaction was "Oh, man, this is my kind of beer. What style is this?" I just couldn't help myself to break the news to her that this new beer she thought I brewed was a Bud Light. What do I have to do around here to get her approval?! : ) Haha.

I'm not offended if people don't like my beers -- even my wife. Like many have said, it leaves more for me.

PS. I thought the commercial was funny -- how awesome is that set up behind them on the wall? LOL.

There are a few stigmas about homebrewers I don't like, though.

1. "Am I going to get E-coli?" No, my homebrew will not make you sick. There is nastier stuff living in your refrigerator than in that glass of homebrew.

2. "Wow, you must get drunk a lot." Hey, I see you're grilling a cheeseburger. I bet you weigh 400 lbs? Well, you're cooking food, so you must eat until your buttons pop at every meal, right?

3. "Why would you make beer when you can just buy it at the store?" I don't know. Why would you grill a 16 oz. porterhouse steak when you can just go to McDonalds?

4. "I would offer you a beer, but I bought it at the store so you probably wouldn't like it." Yes, because no brewery anywhere ever made a good beer. Just because I homebrew doesn't make me a beer snob.

I think I have gotten every one of these in the past. Now that I've distributed my beer and honed my craft, word has gotten out. My parent's neighbors, people at church, my friends around the country (I've shipped to Elko, NV before for a friend who was hankerin' for some "Beer-Amanda" beer), my old pastor (I taught him to brew), my co-workers, etc, etc all ask for my beer. It's a blessing and a curse.

The only bad thing said about my beers in recent memory was about my award winning lambic... I accidentally gave some to someone at work who wasn't ready for a sour beer. LOL. Now they call it my "Stinky Beer". :mug:

Cute.... I know guys like that....

I have brewed beer I don't like! I mean not just a little but stuff I thought was foul!

Funny thing is someone else has loved it and said it was better than all my other beers.

I say "baby, don't leave with out a few filled Growlers".

DPB

That was pretty funny. I must be lucky, because I can only think of one friend who won't try my brew, and he's one of those odd types who eat 3 kinds of food- eats frozen soft pretzels but won't try my homemade ones!!! I'm by no means a great brewer but my "friend problems" are 1) pulling 24/7 guard duty so the stash isn't depleted and 2) convincing people that it's OK to "waste" that last 1/4" of yeasty funk at the bottom of a bottle.

As far as BWW, I don't usually go to chain restaurants to spend my tiny bit of spare cash...and my wings are better, and not even fried (brined then smoked) :p

What's been the most objectionable reaction that you've experienced after telling people that you brew your own beer? Have you ever had anyone refuse to try some?

I think the increasing popularity of craft brew has really helped change people's perception of beer & brewing, so I don't ever get anything objectionable. Lots of interest in the process, and have even been able to convert a number of neophytes into brewers over the past few years.

When I first started brewing back in the mid-90's, would get tons of skepticism, funny looks and people who would go out of their way at parties to avoid any beer that wasn't poured from a recognizable bottle. Most common question was "isn't that illegal?!" Next most common question was "how much alcohol can you put in this?!" :D

I had mixed feelings to this commercial. It does reinforce some of the negative preconceived notions people have about homebrewers. But at the same time it seems like BWW feels threatened by us. I did ponder what type of grain would best compliment a dry-bratted beer. ::mug::

I've always enjoyed BWW. I've been to a couple bad locations and a few good ones. They always have a decent beer selection, in my opinion, compared to most other places.

I was like the cigar smoker to an average person when #2 son would walk in when momma & I were having a brew day. "Sniff sniff,dam! It smells like cat wizz in here!". We were doing hop additions atm. Then he comes over for a holiday or some pit bbq,tries our latest brew,& says this is friggin good,or this tastes like______.
He really likes my whiskely ale now that he's hooked on some darker craft ales. He thought my wifes first try at summer shandy tasted the most like leini's. I don't have friends within a couple of states anymore,& my neighbors...well,...fagettaboutit. They're too good for an old retiree who's house doesn't look like a dubai palace from the outside. Oh well,so much the better for me.
As for BWW,I used to like the food with beer. That's what it's meant to go with anyway. But it is too expensive,as are the pints. Decent imports,bmc's for that crowd. It's been since the smoking ban since I've been in there,so I can't speak about craft beers with them. I like to smoke while I drink,great way to relax,even with a crook cigar like mark twain used to smoke. Those are good with my dark ale. I think they're called back woods smokes. The tobacco is sweated 1st to take out the harshness before hand rolling.
But BWW lost my business since I can't smoke & the prices got even higher.
The commercial is a bit of tongue in chek humor,but it's also saying "you know you can't do it as good as we do". All in the name of profits. Don't drink his hooch,drink our $6 a glass swill. We'll just make you think it's the emperors new cloths sort of thing. You have to think of it like joe average would that doesn't know anu better. Put that home brew in a negative light so they'll spend there off time & dispensable income with us. I went to a business college & the longer I stayed & the better I got...the less I liked what I was becoming.
It's funny on one level,but a direct assault on the next. It's just exaggerated to make the point obvious to joe average. More laws are coming up against public watering holes,& they gotta gett the public back. Home brewing is just an extension of that decline in their business.

Don't have a BWW near me, but whoever made that commercial must have some idea about hombrewing based on the equipment.

I'm my own worst critic when it comes to my beer. If I make a batch that seems a little off for some reason, I just keep it for myself. If I were a chef and made a really crappy sauce, I wouldn't say "F-it, serve it anyway".
The few craft beer drinkers I know really like my brews....the BMC crowd....not so much, but they wouldn't like the commercial versions either.

I really don't care what the miller 55,or bud lite lime, or super cold triple filtered, never hopped,less filling, filler removed crowd thinks about my beer, I'm not doing it for them anyway.

My point,anyway,was how joe average is led to think of home brew vs there commercial stuff. It's kinda funny,but a kick in the slats just the same. I care about what he thinks,since what we do was de reguare a long time ago. He just isn't aware of that,even though most people know beer has been around a very long time. We're trying to make positive changes in this world by attempting to make sure the old ways aren't forggoten. If not for being put in a modern context. I'm not michael jackson,God rest his soul. But I see were I have to try when the opportunity presents itself to change people's percweptions of what we do. We are craft beer brewers that do it out of love for a good beer. not the golden idol. And that's the real point of focus here.

Your aunt's homemade lasagna vs chef boyardee?
Grandmas apple pie vs Hostess apple pie?
My neighbors fresh maple syrup vs Aunt Jamima table syrup?
Your uncles New England clam chowder vs Campbell's clam chowder?
My grandma's tamales vs tamales from a can?
Homebrew vs ____________light?

We have the high ground!

I would say the only objectionable comment I have had was offering some of my homebrew to some friends that were over and them responding with a story about how they got really sick the last time they had someone's homebrew. I didn't have the heart to tell them that it was probably the undercooked chicken (or something similar). They tried mine anyway and have asked me several times to come over and brew beer with me.

My point,anyway,was how joe average is led to think of home brew vs there commercial stuff. It's kinda funny,but a kick in the slats just the same. I care about what he thinks,since what we do was de reguare a long time ago. He just isn't aware of that,even though most people know beer has been around a very long time. We're trying to make positive changes in this world by attempting to make sure the old ways aren't forggoten. If not for being put in a modern context. I'm not michael jackson,God rest his soul. But I see were I have to try when the opportunity presents itself to change people's percweptions of what we do. We are craft beer brewers that do it out of love for a good beer. not the golden idol. And that's the real point of focus here.

Joe average is just that....Joe average. Not that he can't change, but that's not my goal. I think we get too wrapped up in getting people to change their minds about what they like. I brew because I like to, not to impress anyone or "enlighten" them as to what beer should be.

I'm going to assume you've had a few, because I'm not sure what most of your post is getting at, and I'm not sure what Michael Jackson has to do with anything...... well other than being a lot of things I think are completely offensive.

I just seen that BWW, in addition to hating homebrewers, also doesn't care for parents

I've had both lots of negative and postive comments about homebrewing; however, most of the complements come from other homebrewers.
Most people just love scapegoats and pointing fingers, and basically I believe that those who don't brew are simply jealous and unhappy because they spent their money on video games instead of a kegarator setup. :)

Specifically though, what bothers me are things like when people sample homebrew and then continue to drink many other commerical beverages the rest of the night will then blame the homebrew for giving them a terrible hangover the next day or making them sick. What a joke, man! In addition, I really dislike the stigma that I hear a lot about how about how homebrewers must be alcoholics. Yeah, also NOT true.

We need to stick to our guns and set these bas*ards straight!

Brew on! :rockin:

Personaly, I find this commercial to be an inspiration. This guy had faucets coming out of his walls which is so much more functional and decorative than most of the crap my wife wants hang on our walls. I just wonder if the brewer in the commercial has a tap located in his bathroom.

I had a neighbor come over while a few of us were drinking beer on my driveway. He asked to try a beer, he took a sip and gave me a sour face and said "it has too much flavor"... Then proceeded to pull a Bud Light out of his pocket.

"It has too much flavor." Hey, that's criticism I'll take with a smile! That's what my picky-eater buddy says.

"Too much flavor" seems to be the crux of the problem. They aren't used to what beer used to be,or is in other countries. That's what I do believe we need to change. At least emlighten them about what real beer is & was.:mug:

EnjoyGoodBeer said:
Both and yeah more beer for us!

If only...

I don't actually drink that much. Giving away most of my beer is what allows me to justify brewing more! Otherwise I'd either have thousands of bottles stockpiled, or literally have to open them up and dump them to reuse the bottles :cross:

Smaller batches? Never! I have 20 gal Blichmanns. I buy my grain and hops in bulk. I'm not about to start brewing one gallon batches! Besides, sharing is one of my favorite parts of the hobby. Probably only behind recipe creation and equipment geekery :D

Latest posts

Back