Nylon bucket filter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwilliams

Reaction score
Hey there, when I got my first home brew kit, the reviews mentioned it came with everything but a bucket filter. Not knowing any better I bought one with the kit. Yesterday I brewed an IPA. I drained the boil kettle into the fermenter by placing the output hose in that bucket filter (basically a fine nylon hair net that attaches to the bucket rim). It caught at least one to two pounds of pellet hop crud and cold break ( I do not use a hop bag). My question is if this is a good practice? Am I filtering out stuff that is going to be missing from the flavor profile or is all that gunk good to filter off before going into the primary? Thanks!

I've filtered going from the primary to the secondary, using a nylon paint strainer bag, and have had no problems.

smack2000 said:
I've filtered going from the primary to the secondary, using a nylon paint strainer bag, and have had no problems.

Don't you risk a lot of oxidation doing this? I filter my wort into the primary with a funnel strainer but I may split my next batch in half to see if it affects the taste at all(good or bad). I have seen posts that say it's ok either way, the trub will all fall to the bottom eventually

Cheers,
Collin

It is a good thing. I whirlpool a little while my immersion chiller is working to get the hops and trub to settle out in the bottom of my kettle. Then I rack the beer off the top of the hops and trub. It would all settle out eventually in the fermentor but it will help clear it up faster. I think it is better than using a hop bag. The three times I used hop bags I did not get the hop character I would get without the hop bags. Once the wort is boiled you have most of the hop character you will get. If you want more aroma you can dryhop.

Don't you risk a lot of oxidation doing this? I filter my wort into the primary with a funnel strainer but I may split my next batch in half to see if it affects the taste at all(good or bad). I have seen posts that say it's ok either way, the trub will all fall to the bottom eventually

Cheers,
Collin

The paint strainer bag extends all the way down to the bottom of the fermenter, so no splashing.

Cheers,
Collin

Oxidation isn't a concern until after fermentation. The yeasties need it in the beginning stages of fermentation.

viking73 said:
Oxidation isn't a concern until after fermentation. The yeasties need it in the beginning stages of fermentation.

Right, but my question was not about straining into primary. I was asking smack2000 about straining into his secondary, where oxidation is not only a major concern but also a top reason to not use a secondary(according to some opinions), except in the case of barleywines and fruit beers. Thanks for the reply though!

Cheers,
Collin

Thanks for the replies, Joel4482 your brilliant. Even though I have a ball valve on my kettle, if I rack to the bucket through the strainer it will be considerably less gunk to deal with than if I just dump it into the bucket. Hadn't thought of that which should make the next batch super easy. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back