Not washing yeast with big beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to wash my WLp 500 yeast tonight, but the starting gravity was 1.080. I have been told recently that this would not be a great idea because the yeast is already too stressed out after fermenting the high gravity beer. My questions are:

1) Do people wash their yeast with high starting gravities?

2) would it matter if I used a large starter and started with the right amount of yeast, cause then theoretically they should not be stressed due to the making of the starter. I thought this was the reason that we made starters in the first place. My starter was 1/2 gallon.

Thanks!

Jason

according to brew like a monk, rochefort reuses its yeast thusly:

4 batches of "6" (7.5%abv)
4 batches of "8" (9.2%)
1 batch of "10" (11.3%)

i've personally washed the white labs trappist yeast from a 1.070 batch and divided it up into five jars. the two i've used in starters took right off and the resulting beers taste great so far (one in primary and one in secondary)

I'm still new to this yeast washing thing, but I brewed a big Belgian dark ale, and it's OG was 1.108, and I washed my yeast from that primary cake. I used the Wyeast 3787 Trappist high gravity yeast. I haven't done a second batch requiring this yeast, but I figure it's worth a shot, regardless.

BTW .... I cultured a yeast from a bottle of Westlevern triple, and now have a gallon slurry, with about an inch of yeast sediment in the bottom. My next high gravity Belgian ale is getting this yeast.

BierMuncher said:
Go for it. 1080 is not a yeast killer.

Just keep a little of your wort on top and the yeast will be happy until the next "orgy".

yeah I think I am going to go for it...I'll probably only make one more beer with it anyways because I don't have a lot of room and I am pretty much the only one that drinks the majority of it. I mean, how long could it take to drink 10 gallons of Belgian brew, by myself! Thanks!

Jason

Back