Not sure how to title this. FG after 2 years really high.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tugbucket

Reaction score
*can't change the post title. FG not ABV.

On 3.24.12 we brewed a sour. Our third in the pipeline. It will be two years old in the carboy next weekend so we're looking at it being ready to bottle. Tasted it and it's good. Interesting but nothing off flavor-wise.

(rounded the numbers)
23% Black Patent
62% 2-row
2.5% Wheat Malt
2% Crystal 120L
2% Chocolate Malt
4% Flaked Oats
2.5% Munich Dark
2.5% Flaked Barley

.75oz Willamette 60min
.25oz Styrian Goldings 15min
18 IBU

1.060 OG (aimed for 1.065)
Pitched Roeselare 3763
Pitched dregs form four JP beers over the first couple months.
All primary.

Grain bill was literally things I had left over added to some 2-row.

Fermentation temps at house temp. But sitting on tile and taking the sample today it was at 65 degrees.

Took a hydrometer reading and it's right at 1.020.

Our other two sours were both Roeselare after a week of American Ale yeast. Both dropped below 1.010 in about a year and a half.

So I guess:
1) Anyone seen the FG stay high like this on just Roeselare?
2) Should I go ahead and just bottle it?
3) If i have say a dozen JP bottles, should I bottle half and keg the rest?
4) Pitch some 05 yeast, attached a blow off and see if it chews it down?
5) Other options?

I don't think I would bottle at 1.020. I know you already pitched dregs, but I would try pitching more, or maybe another pack of roeselare. Also, it might kick up again when things get warmer in the summer. I agree it should be done by now, but 1.020 just seems too high to me for bottles.

I suspect it is the 23% black patent that is causing the high FG. I don't think anything is going to drop it. How much was it; 2.5 lbs?

Ah, wasn't aware of the unfermentability of black patent. Guess I'll move on to bottling. Thanks.

Sent from my C6606 using Home Brew mobile app

I would assume black patent would have a lot of unfermentables in a "normal" beer, but am surprised they can't be tackled by the brett and bacetria.

Latest posts

Back