Not my usual brew...a little help??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broadbeer

Reaction score
My husband and I will be trying to get pregnant here soon...I have a few more breweries on my to-do list first:tank:. During my pregnancy, I promised my BF that I would brew her as much gluten-free beer as she wants. Since I'm only familiar with regular old brew, I have no idea what contains gluten (when it comes to brewing) and what is safe for her. I know I need a special extract. Does hops and yeast contain gluten as well? Does anyone have suggestions on good brands and where to find them? She hasn't had a good beer since she was diagnosed, I really want to do it right for her.
Thanks in advance.

The thing you have to watch out for is grains. That's where the gluten comes from. Hops and yeast to not contain gluten.

Most commonly used grains n brewing (barley, wheat, rye, oats) contain gluten and cannot be used.

The main source of fermentables in gluten free beer is sorghum.

Check this thread, it should have what you need.

+1 on the grains, hops should be fine and you'll want to use dry yeast rather than liquid yeast

If you need recipes I have some in my drop down and there are also some floating around in the gluten free forum. As far as brands go, I can't think of any specifically I just order my stuff online most of the time

I'd like to experiment with some strawberries, cascade, and honey. An ale of some sort. I have a month or so to work out the details. Any info you can give on using these in a GF brew?

I'd like to experiment with some strawberries, cascade, and honey. An ale of some sort. I have a month or so to work out the details. Any info you can give on using these in a GF brew?

http://brew.dkershner.com/2009/strawberry-keineweizen/

Here is my recipe, should have several comments from my GF and tasting notes from me as well. Not sure how a more highly hopped beer would change it, but the honey would make it mead-like in my opinion.

Oh, and as always with fruit beers, DRINK FAST!

Back