Not fully fermented pumpkin ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cholmes

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post on the site, you guys have some awesome info and threads on here. So here the issue I'm having is I made a pumpkin ale and I transfer it to the secondary last night after 1 week in the primary. So I got a 1.016 og at 80f and 1.016 at 70.5 when I checked last night. I still has two weeks in secondary and bottle time does everything seem good or do I have a half done ferment. I can get the recipe later and exactly what i did cuz I don't have my notebook right now I will tonight when I get home. Also this is a partial grain with 6lbs on dme and I do top of with water

Hey guys this is my first post on the site, you guys have some awesome info and threads on here. So here the issue I'm having is I made a pumpkin ale and I transfer it to the secondary last night after 1 week in the primary. So I got a 1.016 og at 80f and 1.016 at 70.5 when I checked last night. I still has two weeks in secondary and bottle time does everything seem good or do I have a half done ferment. I can get the recipe later and exactly what i did cuz I don't have my notebook right now I will tonight when I get home. Also this is a partial grain with 6lbs on dme and I do top of with water

What was your recipe? What was your OG? Was this extract? It could possibly be done, I've had many finish about that range. Really depending on what my recipe was and how many un-fermentable sugars I used. You can always run your recipe through software to get an idea of where you should be around. Many people use beersmith, but cheap people like me use the free open source brewtarget. It's great, but I think just a notch below beersmith. Either way, a little extra time in the fermenter will only do some good. :)

I'll throw what I used on tonight for recipe and I'll also do the beersmith thing also I in the secondary now so will it still ferment a tiny but after it has left the primary

I'll throw what I used on tonight for recipe and I'll also do the beersmith thing also I in the secondary now so will it still ferment a tiny but after it has left the primary

Like I said, if you don't want to spend money on beersmith you can always download brewtarget for free. It's almost as good, and I'd venture to say the best free brewing software.

I wouldnt worry about checking your FG anymore,it sounds like its not complelty finished and may or may not give you exactly what you planned on.I would just check it when bottleing it in a few more weeks or month or whatever depending what your OG is.And temperature. But being new its probably a good idea to check it 3 days near bottleing then the day you plan on bottleing to see if it dropped more or not but i just give mine once @-3-4 wks when i check FG @ botteling and never had a problem.
If your using instructions you will find your not always going to go by them.I like to do pumpkins at least a month,usually just primary.
You can also use Tasteybrew for recipe calculations and priming calculators.

So here the issue I'm having is I made a pumpkin ale and I transfer it to the secondary last night after 1 week in the primary. So I got a 1.016 og at 80f and 1.016 at 70.5 when I checked last night.

Sounds like it might still be going if the gravity lowered. Just leave it alone, and give it time.

1.016 for a few days in a row is probably finished. I have certainly finished higher and made good beer, either due to less-than-perfect attenuation or caramelization. These flavors are almost certainly not going to hurt a pumpkin ale either.

We can't really troubleshoot an attenuation issue without the recipe and the yeast you used.

alright got home here are my notes.

6.0lbs dme light
8 oz carapils
8 oz caramel grain 10l
1 oz mt hood 4.4%
1 oz cascade 6.0%
1tbsp cinnamon
1tbsp nutmeg
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp clove
60 oz of organic canned pumpkin
safale s-04 yeast 11.5(dry) packet

8 qts water for mini mash of carapil & caramel for 30mins
155' in 14min 153' and 151' 24mins (i have an electric stove with the burns that pulse)
5 qts water sparge grains for 15mins at 155.3 at 0 mins 153.5 at 5mins and 147.7 at 10mins

combined the worts and brought to a boil.
added 0mins 6lbs dme light & bitter hops 1 oz cascade
30 mins added 1/2 oz mt hood
50 mins added 60 oz canned pumpkin , light and dark brown sugar 1/2 cup each, and cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

cooled and topped off with water took og with water mixed in at 1.016 at 81' and then pitched at 75' and put it away. put it down a 12:14 in the morning got up at 11:30 am and it was bubbling went for 3-4 days. then 11;30 the next Saturday or yesterday i moved it to a carboy. took a reading half way down into it while siphoning off it was 1.016 and 70.5'. hope this info helps.

Im thinking i bet it will finish lower once you bottle it 04 attenuates fairly well and i had pretty low finishing gravitys with dme light only a pound of carmel malt and that sugar.But i would be happy with a finish gravity like that with a pumpkin, did you check your OG? I guess using top off water wont give you a very accurate OG reading though because it doesnt mix well right away for readings.
I think you made a mistake of saying your og was 1.016 was it 1.061?

no it was 1.016 that i have written down but let hope all is good, the water probley didnt help any

I assure you that you wrote the SG down wrong, or read it wrong. With 6lb of DME your SG was a minimum of 1.05... 1.061 sounds concievable for this recipe (I truthfully have no idea how much gravity you can get from mashing pumpin).

If you topped off your finished wort with water (rather than starting with water in the carboy), there's a pretty good chance the reading you took was more water than wort due to inadequate mixing. It's really hard to mix adequately just by shaking. I certainly made that mistake on my first batch.

Test your hydrometer in 70F water to make sure it reads 1.000. Then test and re-test your beer to make sure it's reall 1.016 and the hydro isn't sticking to the side of the vessel you're testing in. I'd hate for you to bottle when it's not attenuated.

Is this your first batch, or first batch with this hydrometer?

This is my 4th batch and yah it was probley a bad mix of water and wort thanks for the help I'll check it again. should I again more fermentable to the 2nd to start another ferment to see if can get every thing fermented out?

Am I wrong or are you saying that you started with a gravity reading of 1.016, then read a gravity reading of 1.016 (the same reading) and still transferred it to the secondary??

I'm confused.

If this is what happened... well, me thinks you did not mix the top off water well. I would mix (especially if you see segregation between wort and water) and re-pitch a healthy supply of yeast.

i think all will be good it looks fine and smell fine so i'll just let it sit for the 2 weeks and then bottle it. thanks for all the help if you have have anything else to add let me know

Back