Not enough room for the dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wazzu1991

Reaction score
I'm doing a Pliny the elder like beer and have about 3 gallons on a 3 gallon carboy. I've never dry hopped with this large of amount of hops before and didn't think about how much space 3 ounces of whole leaf hops would take up. I could reduce my dry hop amount, which would lessen the aroma or transfer it to a 5 gal carboy. The problem is I don't want to transfer it a second time as I already transferred it from a primary to secondary. Any ideas?

If you can't fit it in, go to secondary. Or you might get away with less hops and a longer dry hop

Yeah, you gotta leave some room. If you plan on drinking it pretty fast, I'd say go ahead and rack it to the 5 gal carboy and dry hop as planned. Shouldn't hurt anything. You might get some oxidation, but it will take some time for off flavors to develop.

I am going with a smaller dry hop. I gave it 3/4 of an ounce this morning and will give it another 3/4 tomorrow. If I can fit anymore I'll add it on Thursday. It is my first time with this recipe anyway so I'm sure I will tweak it a little next time. It will go fast so I'll have to brew it a gain soon anyway. Usually when I do a small batch like this, I just do a small dry hop and I never had to think about leaving room.

I am going with a smaller dry hop. I gave it 3/4 of an ounce this morning and will give it another 3/4 tomorrow. If I can fit anymore I'll add it on Thursday. It is my first time with this recipe anyway so I'm sure I will tweak it a little next time. It will go fast so I'll have to brew it a gain soon anyway. Usually when I do a small batch like this, I just do a small dry hop and I never had to think about leaving room.

Be careful and keep an eye on it. Hopefully you are using a blow off tube. If you fill to the brim with dry hops, it will likely foam up and start blowing off. This happens because the hops cause residual CO2 to bubble out of solution and creates foam. I had this happen my first time and actually thought it was caused by an infection. I leave plenty of headspace when I dry hop now (which is actually in my primary buckets).

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio

March 1, 2012 - Hop Infused Vodka
Home brewer Bob Stempski shares his technique for infusing vodka with hops to explore different varieties and add some punch to homebrew and commercial beers.

Check this show out. Since you do not have enough room. Using this technique you can make an extract and still come out with what you want.

I almost always dry hop in a keg with whole leaf. So that's what I would do. If you fill the keg with CO2 you should have very minimal oxygen pickup. And you are going to have to transfer it to keg anyway so that shouldn't really be an issue.

Sounds like you may have already dry hopped. I would double dry hop then. Leave your first dry hops in for 4 days and then transfer to keg and do a second dry hop in the keg. That's will get you closer to the pliny level of hop aroma.

I've managed to get an ounce and a half of hops into the carboy. Should be plenty for a 3 gallon batch. It is now full and I am using a blow off tube as it is full to the top. I dry hopped with Simcoe, Amarillo, and Cascade. It smells awesome. I am going to bottle next week.

Latest posts

Back