NorthernBrewer Bourbon Barrel Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of making a starter I brewed NB Scottish 60 Schilling with the Wyeast 1728 and then used the yeast cake on the Bourbon Barrel Porter. Had excellent fermentation and hit the FG with no problems. Bonus was having a great session beer (60 Schilling) to drink while waiting for the BBP to finish. The BBP is excellent!

Instead of making a starter I brewed NB Scottish 60 Schilling with the Wyeast 1728 and then used the yeast cake on the Bourbon Barrel Porter. Had excellent fermentation and hit the FG with no problems. Bonus was having a great session beer (60 Schilling) to drink while waiting for the BBP to finish. The BBP is excellent!

Exactly! Did you do any yeast washing or just dump the fresh wort onto the cake of the 60 Schilling?

No yeast washing. I got a fresh fermenting bucket sanitized and put the BBP wort in then pitched the yeast from the Scottish 60 Schilling batch.

Philip_T said:
I think I'm doing this next as well. I was going to go with the AHS pecan porter, but since coming across the comments on this beer, the pecan is going to have to wait a bit.

Question, has anyone compared the extract kit to the AG kit for this NB recipe? I can do AG, albeit a BIAB method, but the recipe calls for 15 total pounds of grains, which is pretty much the size limit for my brew kettle. If the extract kit is just as good, I'd rather just do that I suppose.

I'm also planing on using Zaya Rum instead of bourbon. It is an excellent sipping rum with lots of vanilla flavors that I'm hoping transfer well into this porter.

Don't do BIAB for this one, it will be just as good flavor wise. NB in my opinion provides poor instructions for steeping grains. While PH isn't as important in steeping grains, it is still important. This is what I've been doing (for full boil). I heat 1-1.5 quarts of water to about 160 in a smaller pot, like the one you make pasta in, and I put the grains in a mesh bag in the pot and put the lid on, letting them steep for about 45 minutes. I then heat the rest of my water, equaling 5.5 gallons total in my brew kettle. I try to time in so that when the steeping is done, my water will be about 168 degrees. Then I take the bag of grains out of the smaller pot, and swish them around in the kettle to do a sort of a sparge on them. Then I pour in the steeped liquid from the pot and proceed with the recipe. It really does give you the most flavor from the grains

Don't do BIAB for this one, it will be just as good flavor wise. NB in my opinion provides poor instructions for steeping grains. While PH isn't as important in steeping grains, it is still important. This is what I've been doing (for full boil). I heat 1-1.5 quarts of water to about 160 in a smaller pot, like the one you make pasta in, and I put the grains in a mesh bag in the pot and put the lid on, letting them steep for about 45 minutes. I then heat the rest of my water, equaling 5.5 gallons total in my brew kettle. I try to time in so that when the steeping is done, my water will be about 168 degrees. Then I take the bag of grains out of the smaller pot, and swish them around in the kettle to do a sort of a sparge on them. Then I pour in the steeped liquid from the pot and proceed with the recipe. It really does give you the most flavor from the grains

Thanks again bottlebomber.....I was thinking of doing exactly what you state here after doing a bit of more research here. That spells it out perfectly for me!

Regards,
Phil

Philip_T said:
Thanks again bottlebomber.....I was thinking of doing exactly what you state here after doing a bit of more research here. That spells it out perfectly for me!

Regards,
Phil

1 meant 1-1.5 quarts per pound btw, the extract kit has 2 lbs so that would be like 3 quarts or as much as a gallon, to clarify

Brewed this one up today. Used a little bit too much water for the full boil and ended up missing the OG a little bit (1.062 vs 1.065).....and apparently my thermometer is junk. It was reading that the wort was under 70, so I dumped it in the carboy and pitched the yeast only to then look at the fermometer reading a 78. Put it in a tub with some ice packs and a wet towel...hopefully nothing major.

racked this yesterday on top of 14oz of makers and oak cubes(soaked for 4 days) @ 1.020 @ 70F... getting closer!

Nice! Mine has only been in the primary for a week so far....gonna let it ride at least another week or before checking gravity and racking. It just stopped bubbling last night. Fermentation went very nice. Violent for the 1st two days, then nice and mellow for the next 3-4.

I want to know if you guys have followed the late LME addition of 15 minutes with the dark malt extract, or if you have been adding that with the wheat DME for the full 60 minute? I read through this entire thread and saw no mention of that?

This would be my first "kit" I bought off the internet - it just comes fresh with everything you need?

I actually prefer the flavor of beer made with ALL the extract added right at the end of the boil. It doesn't need to carmelize, its already fully processed. Boiling it for an hour just muddies up the flavor I think

I just got the kit today and will brewing tomorrow.

Question: The kit comes with a mesh bag for steeping. I've only done AG BIAB or Extract recipes and I'm not sure if steeping is the same thing as mashing or not. Would there be a benefit to using one of my large nylon bags for steeping to allow the grains to roam freely vs the constricted sock?

No, steeping and mashing are not the same. The nylon bag method you describe is how I do my steeping. I prefer to have the grains roaming freely as opposed to being constricted in a bag.

Yeah Mr Green, that's what I was thinking, ended up just using the sock anyways, but will probably do an open bag mash next time. And there will be a next time. Just checked the gravity after 1 1/2 weeks in the primary and it's down to 1.021 from 1.063. Will probably bring the temp a little and let it go another week and 1/2. It's tasting pretty good, too. A little thin with not much body, but the taste is great. Can't wait to see what the Zaya Rum on oak cubes does to it!

After so many rave reviews, I decided to pick this up, and it should be here this Saturday.

A quick question, how much yeast are people using? I picked up 2 packs of the Danstar Windsor because I was concerned with a stuck fermentation, as some others have experienced. An OG of 1.065 doesn't seem that high to me, but I've never used this yeast before.

Update: 8/1/11 I made this yesterday and pitched 2 packs of Danstar Windsor (they were really cheap at LHBS). Active fermentation began ~6 hrs later and this morning (~16hrs after pitching), it was blowing through the airlock. I switched to a blowoff tube. One pack probably would've been fine, I'm thinking.

I don't have any experience with dry yeast, but I used a starter with the Wyeast and pitched an addition pack just to make sure.

I just transferred to the 2ndary today after 2 weeks and a FG of 1.020 - 1.021. Really tasty as is already. :mug:

Also added the Zaya Rum to the oak chips. Hoping to let go for 2 weeks and then add it all to the 2ndary for another 2-4 weeks. This beer is going to test the limits of my patients.

Just ordered this from NB. I already have my oak chips marinating in 14oz of Makers Mark since the 22nd of July!

Curious, for those who have made this did you make a yeast starter with it?

Only thing I might change is adding a madagascar vanilla bean sliced in half to the secondary. Thougths?

craig_reed said:
Just ordered this from NB. I already have my oak chips marinating in 14oz of Makers Mark since the 22nd of July!

Curious, for those who have made this did you make a yeast starter with it?

Only thing I might change is adding a madagascar vanilla bean sliced in half to the secondary. Thougths?

Make a yeast starter for EVERYTHING! Unless its dry yeast, which is a lot more heat tolerant and is more likely to be viable, a starter is a good way to "proof" the yeast. Plus its nice seeing your brew in active fermentation the same day you brewed it :)

Make a yeast starter for EVERYTHING! Unless its dry yeast, which is a lot more heat tolerant and is more likely to be viable, a starter is a good way to "proof" the yeast. Plus its nice seeing your brew in active fermentation the same day you brewed it :)

Ahh, I have always heard such mixed reviews, but I guess it never hurts to just do it with every beer.

This will be my first starter, so I just add the Wyeast to some room temperature wort and cover it with foil right?

My kit from Northern arrived yesterday. From what I've read, I believe I need to get this brewed by the end of the month in order for it to be truly ready for drinking by Christmas. And I'm looking forward to brewing it...and waiting for it to arrive at the peak of perfection!

glenn514:mug:

glenn514 said:
My kit from Northern arrived yesterday. From what I've read, I believe I need to get this brewed by the end of the month in order for it to be truly ready for drinking by Christmas. And I'm looking forward to brewing it...and waiting for it to arrive at the peak of perfection!

Me too! Mine should arrive Monday I hope. Have been soaking my oak chips for two weeks already.

Hopefully brew mid week, if not next Saturday.

glenn514 said:
...and waiting for it to arrive at the peak of perfection!

Try to save a few bottles for the end of NEXT year, cause that's when this really reaches perfection. I drank a two year old bottle a few nights ago, it had been 6 months since id had it, and it was a totally different beer

bottlebomber said:
Try to save a few bottles for the end of NEXT year, cause that's when this really reaches perfection. I drank a two year old bottle a few nights ago, it had been 6 months since id had it, and it was a totally different beer

Awesome. Just brewed this last week. Excited to strung this one out for a while and see how it changes.

How long so you think this one could be aged before it starts to deteriorate?

54BelAir said:
Awesome. Just brewed this last week. Excited to strung this one out for a while and see how it changes.

How long so you think this one could be aged before it starts to deteriorate?

I really can't tell you. The longest I've ever kept a beer was a smoked scotch ale that had a pint of Talisker whisky in it, and at 3 years it was definitely past its peak. But I think a porter could do as much as 5 or maybe more, who knows. Its basically the Cabernet Sauvignon of beers in my opinion. If you're just using crown top bottles though, I don't think those are meant to preserve a beer that long. If you really wanted to get crazy with it you could cork it in wine bottles and wax the tops. Corkers are expensive though. We have a community one for our homebrew club

I too will be brewing this in the next couple weeks. Already have the kit and am just waiting on a carboy to free up. I'm thinking about using whiskey (Gentlemen Jack to be exact) instead of the bourbon but i'm on the fence about it. Like someone else mentioned I'll probably add a vanilla bean too.
Money's tight for me and the wife this year (just bought a house and had a our first kid) so the friends and families all getting a bomber of this for christmas.

I've got one of these aging, I'm in the "hopefully, but optimistic" category.

For some perspective, I *love* heavy, boozy, oak aged beers. Things like KBS, BCS, Dark Lord, etc - I love 'em all. The gf also likes oak aged beers a lot, but not quite as mcuh as I do. That was one thing I wished people would give information on when they'd talk about how long they aged & how much booze they used when they'd describe the outcome.

First I had it in primary for 3.5 weeks, I forget temps offhand but think mostly 65-67.

I soaked the oak cubes in 20oz of Makers for a week (was away)

Put the oak & bourbon in a secondary, and racked the beer on top of it. Tasted the unoaked porter and it was really good, perhaps the best beer I'd made yet.

After 12 days in secondary I bottled this. At bottling it was almost undrinkably oaked, even for me. The gf did view it as undrinkable. It was almost nauseating. This was mid-may.

Tried a bottle ~1 month in. The oakiness was dropping out a bit. I thought it was "ok" in that if I had to, I could drink these. Still too much for the gf, she also found them to have an unpleasant bite to them.

Tried another bottle ~6 weeks in, bit better.

Tried another bottle ~8 weeks in. I thought it was almost to the good stage, but not quite. She felt it reached the acceptable stage. It had developed a certain creaminess to it, and that bite she was describing was gone. The oak was starting to fade a bit, but still quite prominent on the nose. The bourbon was starting to show through.

My plan is to wait another week or two and have a fourth bottle, which will make it an even 3 months - that was my initial target.

Nice review so far jghbt....and a good description of the time line.

Had mine in the primary for two weeks and has been in the secondary for 9 days and I'm getting ready to add the rum soaked oak tonight which has been soaking for the same 9 days. Then probably another 3-4 week in the secondary before bottling and hope to have it ready for Thanksgiving. If not then, Christmas will do.

Anyone have any good ideas on adding the oak/liquor to the secondary without making a mess, or splashing the wort too much?

how long is too long on oak cubes?

I ask because I'm trying to decide if I should add the oak and bourbon to the secondary (for few weeks). Or if I should add them when I rack to a keg. The catch is that in a few weeks I'll be overseas for several months. So I plan on transferring this brew to a keg at the end of the month and hopefully trying it around November. Would you add the oak and bourbon now and then rack off in two weeks or go straight to the keg for a few months?

Gasper said:
how long is too long on oak cubes?

I ask because I'm trying to decide if I should add the oak and bourbon to the secondary (for few weeks). Or if I should add them when I rack to a keg. The catch is that in a few weeks I'll be overseas for several months. So I plan on transferring this brew to a keg at the end of the month and hopefully trying it around November. Would you add the oak and bourbon now and then rack off in two weeks or go straight to the keg for a few months?

Its kind of a black art. There's a lot of factors that can influence how much oak your going to get in a set time. The only way to be sure, is every few days take a sanitized wine thief and lightly swirl a little, and try some.

Anyone have any good ideas on adding the oak/liquor to the secondary without making a mess, or splashing the wort too much?

I asked about this when I did mine. People said just to wash my hands off with starsan and then physically drop the cubes into the secondary and pour the bourbon in. Do that first, and then rack the beer on top of it.

Its kind of a black art. There's a lot of factors that can influence how much oak your going to get in a set time. The only way to be sure, is every few days take a sanitized wine thief and lightly swirl a little, and try some.

It's also going to depend on how much one likes oak, which is why I tried to give that backgorund in my previous post. One thing that bugged me when I was trying to figure all of this out was that people would say things like "just right" or "too much" but not talk about what sort of bbl aged stuff they normally drink.

Also for the previous poster, the oakiness drops out over time so you want to go a bit "too far"

I asked about this when I did mine. People said just to wash my hands off with starsan and then physically drop the cubes into the secondary and pour the bourbon in. Do that first, and then rack the beer on top of it.

Unfortunately, I have already racked to a secondary and I don't necessarily want to rack it again if I can avoid it. I imagine if I'm just careful and don't just slop it in on top, I'll be okay.

I have soaked my oak chips in the bourbon since July 22nd and still haven't brewed this beer yet. The kit shipped on the 4th and is scheduled to arrive today.

I will probably make my starter Thursday for a Sat morning brew. I figure by the time I move to secondary (3 weeks from pitch) I may strain the oak chips from the boubon and just toss all of the bourbon in the secondary and rack on top of that?

The major issue is the chips have absorbed a lot of the bourbon... ah what the hell, I'll toss it all in.

Unfortunately, I have already racked to a secondary and I don't necessarily want to rack it again if I can avoid it. I imagine if I'm just careful and don't just slop it in on top, I'll be okay.

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

A batch of this very beer is currently boiling merrily away on the stove out in the kitchen! We'll get it fermentation bottle in about an hour. Then, we hope it will be ready by Christmas...or the baptism of our first grandchild!

A batch of this very beer is currently boiling merrily away on the stove out in the kitchen! We'll get it fermentation bottle in about an hour. Then, we hope it will be ready by Christmas...or the baptism of our first grandchild!

Awesome! My box from NB arrived yesterday! My oak chips (bought separately) have been soaking in Makers Mark since the 22nd of July. I plan to brew this bad boy up on Saturday!

I also hope for a Christmas time drink! Ideally the 21st of December as that's my birthday! :mug:

Earlier this morning, I went down to the cellar where my batch is fermenting. Good thing I did...the vigorous fermentation overnight forced foam and some liquid wort through the blow-off and into the blow-off bottle! It was still functioning, but it was rather a mess! Got another bottle half-filled with water and stuck the hose in that. All was well a few minutes ago.

Earlier this morning, I went down to the cellar where my batch is fermenting. Good thing I did...the vigorous fermentation overnight forced foam and some liquid wort through the blow-off and into the blow-off bottle! It was still functioning, but it was rather a mess! Got another bottle half-filled with water and stuck the hose in that. All was well a few minutes ago.

I had to empty and change mine 3 times. Keep an eye on that one....

Thanks for the "heads up" on that, Philip T! I just ran down to check, and the extremely vigorous, almost furious fermentation has drastically reduced. I'm getting a bubble every one-two seconds. And it's chugging along just fine. In fact, I think I will put a regular air lock in it tomorrow. Again, my thanks!

I'm receiving this kit tomorrow and after reading this thread, I can't wait to brew it. Based on what others have said, I should expect a gravity measurement in the 1.020 range before racking to the secondary?

Latest posts

Back