Northern brewer all grain kit deal- good for biab?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makisupapolice14

Reaction score
Northern brewer is currently running a deal on 3 all grain kits for about $60 (sans yeast, which I'd buy at the lhbs this time of year anyway due to weather).
http://www.northernbrewer.com/promo...221804797&mc_cid=adf69270d3&mc_eid=25da5a7443

I have everything I need for a biab brew day ( 15 gallon kettle, bag, thanks wilser) but haven't tried it yet. I'm thinking this might be worth it since they are tried and true recipes, some of which I've done before.

My only concerns are should I pick up an extra few pounds of base malt to account for potential loss of efficiency? Since I won't brew all 3 at once I should also probably leave the grains uncrushed and see if my lhbs will let me bring the grains to the store and double crush for a nominal fee.

Any other thoughts or concerns? These will also be the first beers I keg so there will be another set of unknowns (I was debating doing an extract with grains for my first kegged beer to see if there was truly a difference).

With shipping, it comes out to about $22.83/kit. Just looking at the recipes posted on their site, I'm looking at a LHBS cost of about $20/batch given the fact that I buy base grain in bulk (~$1/lb) and they sell at $1.89/lb. It doesn't include me buying hops in bulk, so maybe take that down to about $17/batch if you have those in bulk.

I think it's a great deal that I'm actually considering now, given that I don't have all the varieties of some of these kits (like the milk stout). Just pick some that are more expensive like the IPA's, etc. The more grain/hops they have, the better the deal.

FYI - buy some plain light dry extract. If you mess up your efficiency and undershoot, it's easy to toss in some extract, not so easy to mash extra (just takes a bunch more time).

Sweet good call on the dme. I think I'll just on this. It will make good beer and is a good experiment for my first biab recipes with minimal financial risk

In terms of value, I recommed the milk stout, kiwi express IPA, and maybe a Czech pilsner (if you can lager, otherwise another IPA like Dead Ringer).

Don't blow the deal on the Cream Ale!

I was wondering the same thing as the OP! I am ready to move to BIAB now that I have all the equipment. I assume the instructions for these all grain kits would be the same for the BIAB method, right? Or what would need to be done differently? Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing as the OP! I am ready to move to BIAB now that I have all the equipment. I assume the instructions for these all grain kits would be the same for the BIAB method, right? Or what would need to be done differently? Thanks!

Without looking at each recipe, I assume yes. Generally, you have a single step mash at a certain temperature. Mashing out at 170 can be considered optional. I've stopped doing it just to save some time, but you can do your own research here...

BIAB is just a thin mash (high water to grain ratio), it isn't anything really complicated / different.
Put your volume, grains, etc into a spreadsheet (I prefer EZWater; Brun'Water is also popular but much more advanced) and add your minerals/acids for style and pH.

If you are just starting, you can even skip the minerals and just go with straight RO water or highquality non-chlorine tap water and make a good beer. As mentioned, you can use light DME to make up any efficiency/gravity issues.

Were I in need of kits, I'd personally buy: Bourbon Barrel Porter, Kiwi Express IPA, West Coast Radical Red Ale

Go for it!

Only thing that kinda sucks for the IPAs is they Are only 5 gallon batches. Typically I formulate for 5.5 or 6 for my IPAs to account for IPA and trub loss

Ps my lhbs will let
Me crush for 10 cents per lb, same they usually charge and I have completely control over the crush

Is it worth trying to do the kolsh via biab and with us05? I see the instructions call for a multi step mash

I buy bulk grains and hops but this was such a good deal that I bought the Black IPA, Dead Ringer, and Bourbon Barrel Porter...for like 1/2 price... hard to beat. I BIAB and never have trouble with efficiency. Grind the grain right, hit your temps, and squeeze the bag... couldn't be easier. :)

The kolsch was not applying a discount in my cart and northern brewer was closed around 6pm est when I ordered. Ended up going with a dead ringer (I've brewed extract 2x before so I'll be interested to see how my biab version compares), chinook IPA, and chocolate milk stout.

I can get grain for about the same price or less than NB local and with shipping factored its even cheaper. I have downloaded the pdf instructions for their kits and copied them, or used instructions for ones I already bought, with good success.

Looking at the costs of the kit's ingredients, I think that the Kama Citra Session IPA should be more expensive than the Dead Ringer. I wonder if they bump the prices up quite a bit on their popular kits.

For example look at the Dead Ringer: (Here is the price buying the individual ingredients from Northern Brewer)
11lb Rawr 2 Row = 11*1.79 = $19.69
1lb Breiss Caramel 60 = $1.99
5oz Centennial = 5*2.29 = $11.45

Total = $33.13
Yet they sell this kit for $41.51, its almost $10 cheaper to just by your ingredients yourself.

Anyways when I buy in bulk I can do a dead ringer for about the price of the sale (slightly cheaper).

The Czech Pilsner:
- 9.5 lbs. German Pilsner Malt = $21.75
- 0.25 lbs. Weyermann Carahell = $0.63
- 1 oz German Perle = $2.29
- 2 oz Saaz = $4.98

Total -- $29.65 yet kits sells for = $35.51

For someone who buys kits from NB, is there something included in the kits besides the ingredients which causes the to cost much more than the individual ingredients?

I was going to get the Kama Citra and the Kiwi but when the Kiwi sold out, I decided to just keep buying from my local HBS. The sale only looks better because of how much they bump up their kits. You're still paying for that flat rate shipping price. Although if you don't have a local HBS this is a great deal.

Just put my order in this morning. Did 2 each of the Black IPA, Dead Ringer, and Caribou Slobber. I know the slobber wasn't the best money saver, but I've been craving it. It'll be first.

For someone who buys kits from NB, is there something included in the kits besides the ingredients which causes the to cost much more than the individual ingredients?

When you buy the kit I think they have caps and priming sugar so that might add a few dollars.

Im debating trying the AG kit from NB 'Off the Topper' for a BIAB attempt. I love HT and heard their version of the clone is good.

I was getting ready to buy bulk grain and hops now that I have my corona mill set up, but saw this deal and definitely took advantage of it (Black IPA, Bourbon Porter, & Kiwi Express). When I BIAB the AG recipes from NB I always added about 1lb ultra light DME which along with squeezing the $hit out of the grains guaranteed I reached OG each time. Now that I have the mill set up though, I will certainly be running the grains through that without the DME and see how it goes.

Went and looked for this the other day, but the special had ended 'due to overwhelming demand'

Now, they're doing $25 kits for their 25th anniversary, wondering if this new deal is worth picking up a couple of kits for future biab endeavors.

Now, they're doing $25 kits for their 25th anniversary, wondering if this new deal is worth picking up a couple of kits for future biab endeavors.

I saw that Austin Homebrew is offering this, is Northern Brewer also doing the same thing?

I may be low on sleep today. I saw the AHS sale and immediately thought about this thread, never even dawned on me that it was NB doing the other sale.

No problem, just wanted to make sure. When you said that I instantly went to NB to see what was on sale, but couldn't find the sale link; then I started to assume you meant the other one.

I was getting ready to buy bulk grain and hops now that I have my corona mill set up, but saw this deal and definitely took advantage of it (Black IPA, Bourbon Porter, & Kiwi Express). When I BIAB the AG recipes from NB I always added about 1lb ultra light DME which along with squeezing the $hit out of the grains guaranteed I reached OG each time. Now that I have the mill set up though, I will certainly be running the grains through that without the DME and see how it goes.

Just as update for OP. I ran it through the corona mill and mashed in 5 gal. Then poured 2 gal sparge water over the bag while hanging/draining. Then squeezed living heck out of it. Ended with a little over 5 gal at end of boil. OG was 1.076, kit reported 1.075 so win win with a mill and these kits!

Went and looked for this the other day, but the special had ended 'due to overwhelming demand'

Yeah they sent me an email due to delay in shipping the kits out due to this "overwhelming demand" hahaha.

I can get grain for about the same price or less than NB local and with shipping factored its even cheaper. I have downloaded the pdf instructions for their kits and copied them, or used instructions for ones I already bought, with good success.

What he said, if I'm brewing from recipe this is what I do. I have a NB a mile away, I buy all the ingredients separately and then brew. Much cheaper. If I have to I convert the 3 gal batches to 5 gal.

Just picked up the ingredients for the 100% kolsch to brew today!

Last edited:
I just recently bought the brew boss to get into BIAB but haven't got everything ready to go. So I would like to brew a couple of extract brews until I make the switch. I haven't order from Northern Brewer but do they offer deals similar to this using extract?

What he said, if I'm brewing from recipe this is what I do. I have a NB a mile away, I buy all the ingredients separately and then brew. Much cheaper. If I have to I convert the 3 gal batches to 5 gal.

Just picked up the ingredients for the 100% kolsch to brew today!

That's a good beer! I did that one this past summer and used 2565 for the yeast. Very bready and refreshing.

I jumped on this deal when I saw it....I'd been eyeing the bourbon barrel porter for awhile and that alone was around $20 savings from the normal price. I also grabbed the Kama Citra IPA and Bavarian Hefe.

As for efficiency, I've brewed a few all grain kits as BIAB and have never had serious efficiency issues...I always come within a few points of the projected OG, which is close enough as far as I'm concerned. In fact, the most recent kit I brewed (Irish Red), I ordered unmilled and used the new Barley Crusher I got for Christmas and my OG was higher than predicted by a few points.

Never hurts to have some DME on hand for starters or if you drastically come in under, but BIAB is not necessarily as inefficient as it's made out to be.

I know this is an old thread, but NB is having another kit sale. Buy 3 and get each for $19.99. There's a small selection to choose from but still a good deal. At least for me. While most of the kits offered are fairly cheap grain wise, some like Kama Citra are a decent savings on hops alone. Anyway, goes till mid-night if anyone is interested.
I ordered up:
Caribou Slobber
Dead Ringer
Kama Citra
All grain, no yeast or sugar option and total came to $67 and change shipped.

I grabbed 3 of the kits today with uncrushed grains. Caribou Slobber(this one is really really good after 4 weeks aging), Chinook Ale that I love after working outside, and Dead Ringer Ale. No yeast or sugar, I will order those when I get around to making these. Probably won't get around to brewing these until mid next month or later but couldn't pass on the price.

No yeast or sugar, I will order those when I get around to making these. .

No need to "order" sugar IMO, plain super market table sugar works fine, I think you use a little less, around 10% less I think....check a priming calculator to confirm if you like.

One yeast, liquid or dry can easily be re pitched to ferment all 3 batches if you want to save a few more $$$.

Or if you want a little project, but a 6 pack of bottle conditioned beer and culture the yeast for your 3 kits, it's not that difficult.

I got the saison, Cairbou and Kama Citra. I've only had the Slobber before so I'm looking forward to the oher two. I did do an extract farmhouse they sell with 3711 and it was good.

I use regular table sugar and it works just fine and cheaper and always on hand. I use brewers friend priming calc and a scale for accuracy.

For anyone who is concerned, or just curious, I picked up 4 kits back in the early January sale, all with pre-crushed grains. The grain quantities all seemed to line up for ~70% efficiency, which meant that they were almost spot-on for my BIAB system (I increased the fermentor volume slightly to hit gravity if my efficiency was high).

I kept the crushed grains in their bags (double plastic bagged from NB) in a tote in my garage for a couple months. I brewed the last of the batches at the end of March/Beginning of April and had no issues with stale malt or efficiency problems at all.

I would highly recommend these kits when they are $20 for anyone interested in saving a drive to the LHBS.

I grabbed 3 of the kits today with uncrushed grains. Caribou Slobber(this one is really really good after 4 weeks aging), Chinook Ale that I love after working outside, and Dead Ringer Ale. No yeast or sugar, I will order those when I get around to making these. Probably won't get around to brewing these until mid next month or later but couldn't pass on the price.

Same 3 that I got. Only problem is when they have sales like that, they take so long to ship. Ordered mine on Sat. and still has not shipped. In a previous order I got the Dead Ringer 3 gal kit, doing it this weekend. So I got my next 18 gallons planned. :D Now I just need enough empty bottles.

Back