$35 6.5 Gallon Glass Fermenter at Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know if this is a good deal or not, but someone may be interested. I was notified of this deal via email by Northern Brewer:

Big Mouth Bubbler® EVO 2 - Siphonless 6.5 Gallon Glass Fermentor

Link to page

One day only.

Yep, I got that email too. Over the years I've seen and read too many posts and pics from people in the ER who used glass carboys. I'm so old-school my newest brew is fermenting in my original Ale-Pail I started with: 15 years old and still chugging along (and no E R visits). Of course I have other buckets too, but ALL plastic buckets, and never 1 infection...

Prepare to feel like you’re wrestling a greased up glass pig if you use starsan on this thing. Always Iodophor on glass…

I agree with lumpher, a plastic bucket isn’t as sexy but there sure seem to be a lot of horror stories about glass carboys deciding to stop carboying during handling. Confirmation bias is likely at work here, but the pictures of the aftermath are enough to keep me away.

Aside from the dangers and cumbersome nature of those unwieldy beasts, ABInBev is not getting any more of my money. And when they bought NB/MW that was the last I shopped there. Plus they did Chip, Jake, and Michael very wrong.

You guys still shop with Budweiser, eh?

Aside from the dangers and cumbersome nature of those unwieldy beasts, ABInBev is not getting any more of my money. And when they bought NB/MW that was the last I shopped there. Plus they did Chip, Jake, and Michael very wrong.

I've never ordered any brewing supplies online because I have a brewing and
hydroponics supply store near where I live, I just received this deal notification via email and thought I'd post it for
anyone interested. Is Northern Brewer owned by ABInbev?

1692277312651.png

You are correct, they sold to the more ethical Blackstreet. My apologies for not mentioning that.

And when they bought NB/MW that was the last I shopped there.

Doesn't change the fact I stopped, and never went back. The fact that they sold it in the first place, and WHO they sold it to is enough for me. Add in the way they treated people who genuinely wanted success for them is enough that I will actively tell people what I think of them. If you don't want opinions, you may be on the wrong medium.

I only mentioned it because it still a sore subject. For me at least. Them along with Ratebeer, Talkbeer, and the super-shitty BeerAdvocate won't be coming back in view. eta: forgot to mention all the other greats that fell: Rebel, AIH, AHB, and I could talk for days as I'm sure some other can as well, about - St Patricks. There were a couple other greats that had recipe builders, but they have been gone so long I'd have to check my old bookmarks.

It is your money after all, don't mind my countering views. I'm just a grumpy old dude.

Last edited:
The price I get when I click that link is $40.45, and standard shipping rates apply (i.e., no free shipping no matter how much you spend). MoreBeer has 3, 6 and 7 gallon PET Fermonsters on sale with free shipping on orders over $59.

You are correct, they sold to the more ethical Blackstreet. My apologies for not mentioning that.

Doesn't change the fact I stopped, and never went back. The fact that they sold it in the first place, and WHO they sold it to is enough for me. Add in the way they treated people who genuinely wanted success for them is enough that I will actively tell people what I think of them. If you don't want opinions, you may be on the wrong medium.

I only mentioned it because it still a sore subject. For me at least. Them along with Ratebeer, Talkbeer, and the super-shitty BeerAdvocate won't be coming back in view. eta: forgot to mention all the other greats that fell: Rebel, AIH, AHB, and I could talk for days as I'm sure some other can as well, about - St Patricks. There were a couple other greats that had recipe builders, but they have been gone so long I'd have to check my old bookmarks.

It is your money after all, don't mind my countering views. I'm just a grumpy old dude.

I don't think anyone challenged your opinions, just the factual matter of whether ABInBev currently owned the company.

*Support your LHBS if you've got one.*

Note that (beyond this paragraph) this reply is intended to be "forward looking". There is some ownership history that predates my interest in home brewing (2016) and the InBev purchase. And, over the years, I've experienced both "take-overs" and "divestitures" as part of my job/career - they are rarely enjoyable (short term), but I (and many others) choose make the best of the situation and occasionally move along to better things. So, back on track and looking forward ...

Chip, Jake, and Michael
So where are they ("Brewing TV"? personalities) now and what are they doing?

I did a quick web search earlier this month on a couple of names and found fresh content at a web site (Chop and Brew), a book "Mash Maker", and a couple of video hosting sites.

No money from me or my wife. I don’t think anything good comes from a company getting that big. They just want more and the have the power and money to eliminate competition. The last ad campaign ended it for my wife. She used to be a bud lite fan. No more. Switched over to Yuengling, still family owned. If you search for a InBev you get this message on the description:”Anheuser-Busch InBev World's largest brewer. Our Dream is to be the Best Beer Company Bringing People Together For a Better World!” What a bunch of bull!

So where are they ("Brewing TV"? personalities) now and what are they doing?

I did a quick web search earlier this month on a couple of names and found fresh content at a web site (Chop and Brew), a book "Mash Maker", and a couple of video hosting sites.
Their whereabouts doesn't change what happened.

I am sure they are fine, I know Chip does Chop and Brew as you said, Micheal went on to do work at a yeast lab (you can figure out which one, as your Google-Fu seems strong), and Jake is doing what he wants to do; fish and art.

The scene before this conglomeration attempt was a tighter-knit community than it was before the...I'll call it "hipster influx". People really, really loved brewing beer. And more than that they loved talking about it with others, to the point of obnoxiousness. And I really enjoyed BrewingTV and Northern Brewer for what they were doing. Times change of course, and we move on from interests we used to have.

But how it all unfolded, in real time, right before our eyes was really something. And maybe I'm just stuck in the past, romanticizing what once was, but it really was great for a bit. Now look, dried up boards, overreaching reddit mods, people thinking you are attacking them everytime you ask question or want clarification. A couple white knights showed up in another thread about me asking for clarification for someone who eventually failed to deliver. Good for them!

Sorry, started rambling.

Latest posts

Back