Northern Brewers - AWOL?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

land3r

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently purchased my first 1-gallon kit from Northern Brewers, which arrived as expected, except for a very small crack in the airlock. I emailed and they sent a replacement immediately.

I figured I'd join their forum to ask some questions (which I'll do in a different thread here) and my login didn't work. Long story short, I've been trying to reach them at their standard contact email since the 8th & haven't had a response.

Also, I tried resetting my password, but even though I can log in to the main site without issues, the forum login says my email is invalid.

Whether or not my 1st batch is going ok or not is yet to be seen, but the relatively sudden lack of being able to reach anyone is a bit concerning.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated!

Have you tried dialing them on the buzzer?

They suffer from lack of labor like everyone else. Would you package and ship homebrew stuff for pittance? Only if you knew a man with a wooden leg named Smith.

Why are you trying to reach them?

What are your questions concerning your brew?

Have you tried dialing them on the buzzer?

They suffer from lack of labor like everyone else. Would you package and ship homebrew stuff for pittance? Only if you knew a man with a wooden leg named Smith.

Why are you trying to reach them?

What are your questions concerning your brew?
1) They no longer answer the phone (assuming they did at some point)
2) Lack of labor: Packaging/shipping is distinctly different than login support, but I get your point.
3) Trying to reach them to reset password / gain forum access. Though, I just found this one...
4) Questions: will be posted in its own thread in a bit!

Thanks

1) They never answer the phone. I've tried a few times over the years.
3) Have you tried setting a new acct, using a different email?
3) Yep. Didn't work.
Plus, I'd like it to be associated with my purchase email, and not have two emails, of course.

1) They no longer answer the phone (assuming they did at some point)
2) Lack of labor: Packaging/shipping is distinctly different than login support, but I get your point.
3) Trying to reach them to reset password / gain forum access. Though, I just found this one...
4) Questions: will be posted in its own thread in a bit!

Thanks

This forum and the American Homebrewers Association forum are your best bets for brewing related questions! Back in the day NB used to have a very active forum, then they upgraded the software and things fell apart and now it's a shell of it's former self (well there's obviously more to that story, but another time perhaps...). Not worth your time establishing an account there.

3) Yep. Didn't work.
Plus, I'd like it to be associated with my purchase email, and not have two emails, of course.

Here's another idea: Buy from somebody else. Plenty of online LHBSs out there.

Morebeer
William's Brewing
Atlantic Homebrew Supply
Austin Homebrew Supply
Farmhouse
Ritebrew (my current favorite)

Those are just a few that come to mind. Check the HBT sponsor directory--lots more places.

I quit using Northern Brewer because it would take them weeks sometimes to deliver and their minimum for free shipping is not competitive with, say, Morebeer.

Having said that, I recently (and reluctantly) placed an order (for a hard to find item) with them that was filled satisfactorily.

Now, if only I could find a supplier that gives me a crush so I don't have to run the "crushed" grains through my Corona mill . . .

NB forums suck. Like mentioned above, they used to be pretty active and I was on there a lot when I first started brewing. Then they did a overhaul, changed everything, and it went to crap. I think I'd been on there for 2-3 years before coming here making this my permanent home.

Sucks too as there's some good folks that were over there.

Thanks everyone. Just based on the quick / helpful replies here, looks like a good place :)

I'll check out the other vendors listed here too.

Text them. They usually respond within a day or so. I'm assuming with them going all online they've cut down on staff immensely. They went through some major delays about 6 months ago, but I thought they had it sorted out. I haven't ordered from them in forever since MoreBeer is always on point.

tried that on Tuesday...

1700147617522.png

Thanks for the tip on MoreBeer, too.

I used to buy from Austin Homebrew because of their extensive clone kit selection. They got assimilated by the Borg and are now part of the same conglomo as AIH and Northern. Now, when you go to the AHS site, you can't find their clone kits as a list you can run thru until you find something interesting. You gotta know what you want ahead of time and then search for it to find it - and when you do, chances are it's tagged "Sold Out".

I've been buying from greatfermentations.com out of Indianapolis lately. No great clone list, but lots of kits by style or if you have the recipe. Their prices are good and you still get free shipping at 55 bucks. Crush is always good. They sell Grainfather parts too, which is a plus for me. The site is a bit weird to navigate first time in but, once you figure it out, its fine.

Another thing I like about these guys is they send you hops and grains in exactly the quantities you specify when you order. Makes brew day a breeze cause you don't have to measure and re-size your hop adds and no left-overs to stash until they go stale. NB and most of the others I have ordered from will send you an entire oz of hops when you specify 0.75 oz. I guess cause it's all prepackaged in even quantities. GF's are all measured to fractional spec and labelled with a sharpie.

Last edited:
I've been buying from greatfermentations.com out of Indianapolis lately. No great clone list, but lots of kits by style or if you have the recipe. Their prices are good and you still get free shipping at 55 bucks. Crush is always good. They sell Grainfather parts too, which is a plus for me. The site is a bit weird to navigate first time in but, once you figure it out, its fine.
They also have some nice Black Friday deals going on right now.

Great Fermentations will also double crush your grain on request. Great for BIAB. Their double crush is real. Just add the request to double crush to the notes on your order, and they do it. Never had them miss it. This along with the precise grain bill ordering mentioned above means that you can dump an exact double-crushed recipe right from their bag into yours on brew day.

So i ordered my grains 8 days ago, and the tracking now says "expected delivery" of Monday (11 total days). This is only my 2nd time ever using NB directly, and their customer service is absolute ****. The phone number is automated and so are the emails. I'll be ordering from great fermenations or morebeer from now on. Sadly, my LHBS closed down last year so i no longer have that option.

So i ordered my grains 8 days ago, and the tracking now says "expected delivery" of Monday (11 total days). This is only my 2nd time ever using NB directly, and their customer service is absolute ****. The phone number is automated and so are the emails. I'll be ordering from great fermenations or morebeer from now on. Sadly, my LHBS closed down last year so i no longer have that option.
Text them. They usually respond quickly

Shipping/transit time may or may not be of their doing.

I've had a number of packages (nothing to do with NB) bounce around the country before getting to my place.

I'm pretty sure the seller didn't tell UPS to ship my stuff from central US to the East coast and back again before sending it to MN.

I only order from them when something I want goes on sale or if they send me a coupon. Just got a delivery this week. Shipping was ridiculously slow as usual but everything I ordered was in the boxes and nothing was broken. I can't say anything about the customer service because I've never had to use it.

I ordered grains and brewing equipment at the beginning of this year from Northern Brewer. There were no issues with shipping. Everything arrived in 4 business days.

Ordered yeast close to two weeks ago - needing it for brett secondary, coming up. Prior to ordering, I queried them to confirm it is in fact available, and got back:

If the yeast is available on the website it's in stock. We are experiencing a few days delay in shipping orders but should be caught up shortly. When you place an order you can send us the order number and we will refund the military discount.

This was their only response. Nothing since then, despite repeated attempts on my part. They made no "veteran's discount refund," though I also queried on that the times I asked for an order update. The one local phone number for them (651) 223-6114) is disconnected and the 800-line (800) 681-2739) merely directs you back to e-mail. Obviously, they have no real customer service routinely.

I hate using them and vastly prefer more beer, LP, and a few others, not to mention my LHBS.

Ritebrew is not far. Do they carry the yeast you need?
Ah, Ritebrew, thanks for the reminder, Max. Yep, they're great, used them a few times now and will go back to them anytime.

No, this is the Omega Brett claussenii. Label Peelers has the White Lab version but both times I wanted to get it from them, on asking, the yeast was dated and to be honest, not the most happy with their flippancy when I asked about the yeast being that old. So wanted to support Omega, and when NB confirmed it was in stock, I went with it. Lesson learned, will never use them again if I can at all help it.

For me, the combination of RiteBrew, Farmhouse Brewing Supply, Home Brew Ohio, Williams Brewing, and Yakima Valley Hops covers almost all of what I could get at Midwest Supplies physical store. (I haven't taken the time to find a new source for some brands of base malts (like Canada Malting); and I don't use liquid yeast).

Over the last year, each of them has filled the order same day, Generally the order ships the same day and arrives 1 to 4 days after I place the order (early in the morning). Order/package tracking is built in to their process.

For me, the combination of RiteBrew, Farmhouse Brewing Supply, Home Brew Ohio, Williams Brewing, and Yakima Valley Hops covers almost all of what I could get at Midwest Supplies physical store. (I haven't taken the time to find a new source for some brands of base malts (like Canada Malting); and I don't use liquid yeast).

Over the last year, each of them has filled the order same day, Generally the order ships the same day and arrives 1 to 4 days after I place the order (early in the morning). Order/package tracking is built in to their process.

Yup, RiteBrew, Farmhouse, William's, YVH pretty much cover the bases for me. Never tried HB Ohio. Label Peelers is fine when all I need is a packet or two of dry yeast. I don't use liquid anymore, either. I have a stir plate and flask collecting dust.

I miss the MW store in St Louis Park--decent prices and good people. And Brew & Grow, which was my LHBS until the owner retired 5 years ago.

Nobody has mentioned @Bobby_M and https://brewhardware.com ? OK, I just did!! I'm lucky enough that it's my LHBS but even if not, the service, selection, freshness all would have me giving them business anyway. As to shipping costs, I know Bobby posted an excellent explanation of how you need to consider your 'total cost' of purchase. Oh, and they pick up the phone!!! ☎️

Nobody has mentioned @Bobby_M and https://brewhardware.com ? OK, I just did!! I'm lucky enough that it's my LHBS but even if not, the service, selection, freshness all would have me giving them business anyway. As to shipping costs, I know Bobby posted an excellent explanation of how you need to consider your 'total cost' of purchase. Oh, and they pick up the phone!!! ☎️
Wasn't aware Bobby does ingredients, or I might have forgotten (like so much %^^$#!$ else)!

Wadda' company. I decided to cancel and get the WL claussenii from LP. Asked NB. They replied within 20 minutes to tell me:

Greetings,

The order is cancelled.

Don't know many companies that are this on it to cancel an order, but awol when it comes to order queries or paid orders.

Wasn't aware Bobby does ingredients, or I might have forgotten (like so much %^^$#!$ else)!
You can order grains down to the oz. and he's got a nice batch tool that lets you combine grains into a single bag, ready for brew day. I usually order three separate batches in my orders.

I know Bobby posted an excellent explanation of how you need to consider your 'total cost' of purchase.
This. Don't believe the initial shipping estimate. When you get to ordering you'll get shipping choices, and at least for me, there's always a much cheaper option than the estimate. Plus as Bobby said, you need to take the whole cost into consideration. I keep second guessing myself, and every time I'm ready to order, I check out Bobby vs. some of the big guys with flat, cheap shipping, and he always is, at worst, about the same, usually a couple bucks cheaper.

I quit using Northern Brewer because it would take them weeks sometimes to deliver and their minimum for free shipping is not competitive with, say, Morebeer.

Having said that, I recently (and reluctantly) placed an order (for a hard to find item) with them that was filled satisfactorily.

Now, if only I could find a supplier that gives me a crush so I don't have to run the "crushed" grains through my Corona mill . . .
More beer has done a good crush on my orders.

I do a brew in the bag, no sparge mash. I need a finer crush or I lose efficiency. And it only takes a few minutes to run it through my Corona mill so it's not that big of a deal.
I do BIAB also, but with a simple sparge. My last brew with crushed grain from Morebeer got me 73% efficiency. I usually get close to 80% with my LHBS crush, so it's not perfect but I can live with it.

Latest posts

Back