Noob yeast washing question (yes i've already tried google)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teetotaler

Reaction score
Recently racked a new batch of cider into secondary, and promptly washed the yeast (WL english cider). I poured the mix into two containers, and have very different looking results. What does the yeast look like, vs the trub? Are the clumps in the left container flocculated yeast, or is it the smooth sediment at the bottom of both containers?

20170522_175210.jpg

That all looks like good slurry on the bottom to me. Not sure what was in your cider but I wouldn't think there would be much in the way of trub in there with your yeast.

Let it sit for a few days. It should condense nicely. It's likely almost all yeast with a little trub. I take my jar and pitch that whole thing right into my next batch.

With cider you will get some "trub" from the apples. This is not as undesirable as the spent grains and hop parts from beer. I 'd just re-pitch all that, or use it to make a starter for the next batch. IF you were uber worried about it, you can put it in a separatory funnel and toss the heavy dead cells on the bottom, collect the good yeast in the middle, and leave the "floaties" behind - but that is getting super anal.

Let it sit for a few days. It should condense nicely. It's likely almost all yeast with a little trub. I take my jar and pitch that whole thing right into my next batch.
are you saying that you just make a second batch of cider off the same yeast from a previous batch?

are you saying that you just make a second batch of cider off the same yeast from a previous batch?

Yep. Works every time. I'll be doing this today. I have 3 jars of wlp002 at the ready for ciders.

Back