Floating dip tube questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garfield43

Reaction score
First off I apologize if I am putting this in the wrong place.
I wasn't sure if it should go here or in the cider forum.
By that last line you probably figured out I make cider.
As of now I make it in the container the apple juice comes in.
Once it is fermented I cold crash it, rack it, cold crash that, and re-rack it, then back sweeten with apple juice concentrate, then return to 70 degree fermentation chamber to carbonate.
After that it can be chilled and served.

With a floating dip tube could I skip some or all of the cold crashing?
I have 2 kegs a standard 5 gallon Corny and a 2.5 gallon mini Corny.
Only the 2.5 will fit in the fridge.
My original plan was to install the floating dip tube on the 5 gallon keg and ferment in it.
If I let it set long enough will the yeast flocculate out enough I could transfer to 2.5 gal without cold crashing?
Should I just put floating dip tubes on both kegs?
That way once the 2.5 gallon gets cold whatever yeast is left would fall to the bottom?
I realize things would be SO much easier if I just had a fridge that would hold the 5 gal keg and I hope to have that sometime.
Just looking for ideas in the meantime.

I have done ciders this way. Fermenting in the keg with a floating dip tube, then placing the keg in the fridge and letting it clear, then drinking out of it. If you use a spunding valve you can keep enough pressure to keep the foam from blowing out, and also create CO2 naturally that way.

You could use some potassium metabisulfite to be sure the yeast is knocked out when you back sweeten it.

You just have to be careful to not aggresively shake the keg up, or you will have to wait for it to clear again. You could rack it to another keg after cold crashing, but I prefer not to clean more than I have to, also less chance of oxygen creeping in.

Back