Help identifying what this is inside my newly bottled wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winegas

Reaction score
After bottling and treating my most recent batch with Campden tablets, I just took a look, and it seems like there is floating "gunk" I did not notice before. I essentially "re-degassed" my wine again when I mixed it in, so I wonder if it might just be extra sediment coming out now as a result. For flocculants, I used the kit provided stuff (bentonite, chitosan, and one more I forgot the name of), and then also used sparkalloid afterwards. I let it clear for 3 or so weeks, and I racked it into a new carboy prior to bottling to avoid the sediment that came out with the sparkalloid. I measured this wine to be 20% from start to finish with my hydrometer by adding extra sugar and "after-market" yeast (not sure if this is important as my other batch I did the same on did not have this problem). Please find a video attached (note: there is still some glue on the outside of the bottles, so not all of it is the gunk in question). Update: The video seems not to work unless it is downloaded - my apologies!

If this is a kit I believe you added ingredients not needed. I have never made a kit that required campden tanlets or sparkloid in any steps. Bentonite goes in with juice, after primary racking the SO2, keisesol and chitostan are usually added in sequence. Sounds like contamination of some kind is rearing its ugly head possibly from a re- degassing. I have never had a kit go bad but I also double the set times after primary racking.

Back