Noob Secondary Fermentation passionfruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cletus1

Reaction score
I have an extract wheat beer in primary for about 2 weeks now and was going to move to a secondary and add some fresh passionfruit and mosaic hops and let sit another 2 weeks before bottling. A couple of questions-

Do I need to sanitize the passionfruit or just dump directly to the fermenter?
Should I put the hops and passionfruit in the secondary and then siphon in the beer?
Do I need to add a bit of extract in the secondary since I am adding fresh fruit?

Cheers

Well, I learned something from adding watermelon to a Bavarian Hefeweizen. I juiced the meat of one sugar baby watermelon in the blender on the smoothie setting. Then sprayed down my dual layer fine mesh strainer with Starsan. Then strain the juice twice to get the little bit of solids out of it. Juice drains into a sanitized container. I got 5 3/4C of juice after all that. I used 3C of the nectar in the BK @ flame out. All said & done, I think it would've been better to add the juice to secondary & rack the beer onto it to ferment a 2nd time. When that settles out clear or slightly misty, then dry hop. You don't want to try dry hopping during a true secondary fermentation. I think using the juice in secondary might give more flavor compared to flame out addition.

Latest posts

Back