Using Up Blueberry and/or Passionfruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm currently fermenting a blueberry cream ale and a passionfruit Gose, and I have leftover concentrated blueberry and passionfruit juices, about 10 and 16 ounces, respectively. I have a wide assortment of grains and dry yeast, and time to brew today. I've done light beers (Kolsch, patersbier, hefeweizen) before, but rarely a dark fruited beer, so that's what I'm thinking now. Fermentation will be ~54 degrees, so we're probably looking at W34/70 or S189.

So what sounds good as a base style to add one of these fruits (and which one?) to?
  • Schwarzbier
  • Doppelbock
  • Baltic Porter
  • American Stout
  • English Barleywine
I'm leaning towards a blueberry barleywine, though it'll probably look like mud. Maybe that, plus some midnight wheat, for a Black Blueberry Barleywine?

Any other ideas, or suggestions for recipes, are welcome.

So, for a ~1-gallon batch:

4.5 lbs. English pale
2.5 lbs. Vienna
0.1 lbs. crystal rye
and maybe 0.3 lbs. midnight wheat, with the idea that it's better to look completely opaque and black rather than like brownish mud-water

mash with 4 gallons of water, boil down to ~1 gallon over ~3 hours

6 g Magnum @ 60
8 g Boadicea @ 10

Saflager S189

Add ~1 lb. concentrated blueberry juice at 3-4 days into fermentation

Cider with store bought juice or a lighter abv mead. That’s where I’d go with it.

Back