No/low fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokedaddy

Reaction score
I made 5 gallons of American IPA and used the envelope of Wyeast for American Ale. It's been over 24 hours and there is no sign of fermentation. I followed the instructions on the Wyeast and it appeared to be active.(envelope expanded) I did but it in the garage last night and it may have dropped to around 60 degrees. I've moved it into the house. Is there a chance it got too cold and the yeast is getting to a slow start. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

i would give at least 48 hours before worrying about anything. Bringing it back inside isnt a bad idea. I normally keep my fermenter around 70 degrees until i notice air lock activity, then move to my basement where it will rest around 62

Sometimes it can take as long as 72 hours! especially if you did not make a starter.

60 is probobly a little low for most ale yeasts, they may work at that temp, but very slowly.

I always pitch my yeast at 60 but warm up to 68 over the next five days where i leave it for a month at that temp.

i would give at least 48 hours before worrying about anything. Bringing it back inside isnt a bad idea. I normally keep my fermenter around 70 degrees until i notice air lock activity, then move to my basement where it will rest around 62
Interesting. I have been keeping mine around 70 for the entire 3-4 weeks in the primary. Am I doing something wrong by not placing it in a cooler environment?

Interesting. I have been keeping mine around 70 for the entire 3-4 weeks in the primary. Am I doing something wrong by not placing it in a cooler environment?

If the fermenting beer is 70 degrees, that's fine. But if the room itself is 70 degrees, that could be too warm. The reason is that fermenting beer produces heat, which means that during active fermentation the beer can be as much as 8-10 degrees higher than the ambient temperature. Fermenting at 78-80 degrees will cause some off flavors in most ale yeast strains.

If you put a stick on thermometer on your fermenter, and it reads 70, that's fine.

Back