No longer able to maintain consistent temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrydan

Reaction score
I have a dos equis clone lager going and have kept the temp around 45-50 consistently during primary fermentation. I had a long lag time starting off (4 days) and now it's been about 15 days since then and I've still got airlock activity and a good krausen layer on top. The recipe says to rack to secondary after ten days but since it was still actively (albeit slowly) fermenting I decided to RDWHAHB. The problem is that now, due to technical difficulties, I cannot maintain lagering temps or drop the temp after racking to the secondary (whenever i do). My question I guess is just a preference one. Should I embrace the new temps and let the yeast adjust and do their stuff, or should I bottle after the krausen drops and put em' in the fridge for a month or two?? Any and all insight would help. :mug:

Let the yeast do their thing, your situation is what it is. The dangers from off flavors are less late in fermentation and you probably need a diacetyl rest anyway. Lager as cold as you are able to

I would be doing a D-rest at this point anyway, so you are in perfect shape.

Sucks that you can't lager the beer, but that won't make it undrinkable.

Thanks guys... pulled it out for a D-rest. Good news: fixed the old keg-o-rater and can lager the beer. Concerning /potentially bad news: The D-Rest ain't resting... it started fermenting like crazy. I've got a bubble in the air lock just about 1 per second and lots of churning. I probably should have done a hydro reading before pulling it up to room temp but when the fridge broke it was heading that way anyway. so... where to go from here? advice??

It may or may not be a problem that it's fermenting so vigorously. But I don't think you are screwed for certain, and I think trying to chill it down again will just put more stress on the yeast (frequent temp changes can give more off-flavors than just fermenting it warm will).

Back