No gas coming out of one output of air manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fugazzi

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 4 keg system in a keezer. I had a bit of backflow in the line, and now one of my gas outs from the air manifold isn't flowing. I'm pretty sure that there are check valves built into the manifold:

"Regulator is attached to an air manifold with four shut off check valves for each keg (This is important because it keeps beer from flowing between kegs"

So I'm assuming that some beer got in the gas line and triggered the shutoff check valve. How do I get the air flowing again into that one line?

Hey all, I have a 4 keg system in a keezer. I had a bit of backflow in the line, and now one of my gas outs from the air manifold isn't flowing. I'm pretty sure that there are check valves built into the manifold:

"Regulator is attached to an air manifold with four shut off check valves for each keg (This is important because it keeps beer from flowing between kegs"

So I'm assuming that some beer got in the gas line and triggered the shutoff check valve. How do I get the air flowing again into that one line?

The check valve is basically a one way valve and there ins't really a trigger. If pressure if going from cylinder through check valve, then it opens. When no pressure is exerted or backpressure is exerted, the valve remains closed.
This is called a normally closed valve. Any liquid backflow will not make it through the check valve into your tank.

You may have had a stuck or malfunctioning check valve to begin with and was never functioning properly from the beginning. First, try soaking it in hot water, maybe the beer made it stick in the closed position. Otherwise, you'll have to buy a new check valve in my opinion.

Hrm, it has worked for several kegs, but it could possibly have stuck in between kegs, so I'll disassemble and clean it and see if I can get it working again.

Hrm, it has worked for several kegs, but it could possibly have stuck in between kegs, so I'll disassemble and clean it and see if I can get it working again.

How long did it sit unused after the initial backflow problem?
Was the backflow only from the one gas line and valve that you're having issues with?

Or did you have backflow in all valves?

Well, I didn't even notice the backflow issue until today. I realized that the gas in dip tubes on my pin lock kegs were of variable lengths and some of them were dipping into the beer when they were full. The keg it was hooked up to finished dispensing about 1-2 weeks ago. I'm planning on cutting my gas dip tubes today.

It should be only on the one, I checked the other kegs and they vent properly, so there should be no other problems currently, but I guess there could have been an issue earlier on.

Sounds like the others are just fine which is always good news.
I would definitely soak it in hot water for a while.
If you can, maybe get a small brush inside or something to clean it.
Then hook it back up immediately.
Turn all of the other valves off and open the problematic valve.

Hopefully you'll here CO2 again!

Great, thx for the advice. I'll disassemble and run some hot water through it. Hopefully I'll be able to reassemble it without leaks, I bought it preassembled, so I've never messed with it before.

With no kegs hooked up, and the valve open(but others closed) work your pressure up to around 45 psi. If that doesn't crack it, it is likely gonners.

I think I'm going to try using hot water to loosen it before testing it with co2.

I used some hot water, and then hot water with oxiclean, and then hooked it up and cranked the co2 to 45 psi, and it still didn't work.

I ended up gently poking the valve with an ice pick, and that opened it up just fine.

Back