No Chill In Kettle - Drain through ball valve or Rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
So I've ventured into the world of no-chill brewing (based on the my lack of time). Anyway, I was going to drain the kettle into a sanke to ferment in and no-chill in a sanke, but apparently it needed another soak in oxyclean as there was still gunk in it.

Anyway, I've got 11 gallons of beer in a sealed kettle in my back yard right now and was wondering for people who no-chill in their kettle do they run it out their ball valve or rack. Do you worry about infection in ball valve since it isn't hot anymore?

Also, is a sight tube an infection risk?

So I've ventured into the world of no-chill brewing (based on the my lack of time). Anyway, I was going to drain the kettle into a sanke to ferment in and no-chill in a sanke, but apparently it needed another soak in oxyclean as there was still gunk in it.

Anyway, I've got 11 gallons of beer in a sealed kettle in my back yard right now and was wondering for people who no-chill in their kettle do they run it out their ball valve or rack. Do you worry about infection in ball valve since it isn't hot anymore?

Also, is a sight tube an infection risk?

Everything post boil is an infection risk. Throw some sanitizer in a sprayer bottle
and spray the ball valve if you wanna go that route. If you have a pickup tube in the kettle, it's off to the side, and you whirlpooled well then you should be ok as far as extra trub goes. Having said that, If it was me I'd probably use a racking cane for fear of extra trub and contamination.

I think the no-chill method works because it's put into the fermenter hot (boiling hot) and allowed to cool there, and not chilled in the kettle and then transferred. If you transfer the boiling wort, out of the ball valve through sanitized tubing, it can't become contaminated.

I totally get that. I've read from many people on this board that they do in fact successfully no chill in their kettle. I guess my question is direct towards them, and am wondering if they ever have issues with running their "cooled" wort through the ball valve?

I no chill in a kettle, however I have no ball valve or sight glass. Sorry, likely too late now, but you could have ran some boiling wort through the valve into a pitcher to sanitize it. you could also spray star san up into the outside of the valve. If not too much trouble, you may be better off racking if you have no idea how clean the valve is???

The sight glass is also a potential point for infection as this wort never boils...an issue in theory, but what actually happens is anybody's guess???

You are where you are...get some yeast working asap:mug:

It is not worth trying to go through the ball valve. There is a huge infection risk and you will be pulling a ton of solids through first. Just use your sanitized racking cane and siphon from above the trub.

Thanks for the advice, these were my gut feelings. I'll just rack it into the fermenter and get it going when I get home tonight and hope for the best. I think I may remove the sight glass for times like this in the future. I've always had the thought that infections weren't as easy to get as people make out. I guess we'll find out :)

Latest posts

Back