No beer flowing from tap - what gives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
OK, so I'll try and be as clear and specific as possible.

Quick facts: Keg is at least half full of beer still, keg is pressurized to about 10 psi (releases gas if I pull the prv), beer is in the serving line, pull the tap and nothing comes out more than a drop or so.

I am 99% certain the dip tube is not clogged. I've had a clogged dip tube before and that situation was much different. This was the clearest beer I've ever transferred over. I transferred virtually zero trub over (crashed and fined with gelatin). I am keg dry hopping, but I'm using leaf hops and they're in a hop sock.

The valve on the regulator shows it holding at about 10 psi. If I crank it up a bit I can hear it groan as it flows into the keg. BUT...sometimes I can crank it up a bit and the needle goes up but I don't hear gas groaning.

Also of note, a day or two ago I came home and nothing poured and when I checked the regulator the psi was at zero so I cranked it back up and it was fine.

I'm getting frustrated. I bought this regulator used but have gone through at least two kegs with no problem. But I'm about to say screw it and buy a brand new regulator. I've about had it with this one.

Any thoughts??

Possibly a frozen liquid line. I have this happen from time to time if the line is touching the wall of the fridge.
You know...that's possible. I'll have to check tonight. I guess I can squeeze along the bev line and see if I feel solids? It definitely may have been resting some on the back freezer plate. If this is the case, is my only option to disconnect the line, thaw it out and hook it back up?

You know...that's possible. I'll have to check tonight. I guess I can squeeze along the bev line and see if I feel solids? It definitely may have been resting some on the back freezer plate. If this is the case, is my only option to disconnect the line, thaw it out and hook it back up?

Yeah I would check that. Happened to me a few times!

Yj6dB3W.gif

I had a small section of the beer line freeze on me before and it stopped the flow.
I could not see the frozen section as it was behind the keg.

99% of the time this is due to a frozen section in my liquid line to the tap.
And 99% of the time, leaving the door open for ~10min will unfreeze it enough to push through.
Yet 99% of the time, I still seem convinced that my dip tube is clogged....

99% of the time this is due to a frozen section in my liquid line to the tap.
And 99% of the time, leaving the door open for ~10min will unfreeze it enough to push through.
Yet 99% of the time, I still seem convinced that my dip tube is clogged....
Ha! Good to know thanks brother. I'll crack the door open when I get home tonight.

Ha! Good to know thanks brother. I'll crack the door open when I get home tonight.

One thing to do is to keep a picnic tap set up on hand. Say, a black QD, a foot of beer line, and a picnic tap. When this happens again, a quick way to rule out the keg's post/poppit/diptubes being clogged is to see if you can dispense through the portable set up. If you can, the issue is the line/tap. If you can't, the issue is in the keg.

One thing to do is to keep a picnic tap set up on hand. Say, a black QD, a foot of beer line, and a picnic tap. When this happens again, a quick way to rule out the keg's post/poppit/diptubes being clogged is to see if you can dispense through the portable set up. If you can, the issue is the line/tap. If you can't, the issue is in the keg.
Absolutely brilliant. I've got at least one or two picnic taps sitting around. I'll rig one up tonight. Thanks!

If you determine that the liquid line is frozen:

Try adjusting the location of your temp controller sensor. I have mine duct taped to a triple square of reflective, with the sensor touching theSS keg. The entire packet slides down the corner of the freezer to the floor, where its coldest. The temp controller is set to 35F. with 3F temp swing, it baaaaarely gets to freezing point of water, which is a tad bit higher than the freezing point of 5% alcohol. Never had a frozen beer line dip tube or keg ( Don't tell Murphy, he'll send the frost queen to my house tonight to mess with my keezer).

If you determine that the liquid line is frozen:

Try adjusting the location of your temp controller sensor. I have mine duct taped to a triple square of reflective, with the sensor touching theSS keg. The entire packet slides down the corner of the freezer to the floor, where its coldest. The temp controller is set to 35F. with 3F temp swing, it baaaaarely gets to freezing point of water, which is a tad bit higher than the freezing point of 5% alcohol. Never had a frozen beer line dip tube or keg ( Don't tell Murphy, he'll send the frost queen to my house tonight to mess with my keezer).
Good lookin out. Never even thought about relocating the temp sensor. Thanks.

Absolutely brilliant. I've got at least one or two picnic taps sitting around. I'll rig one up tonight. Thanks!

You are the first person that ever used the word "brilliant" in a sentence directed at me. Not only am I flattered, I'm going to tell my husband that. :D

For sure. I always keep a picnic tap in my kegerator anyways for the BierMuncher style beer gun. It also comes in handy for sampling things before you have an open tap :mug:

I want to thank everyone for suggesting the frozen bev line. That was the culprit! I hooked up a line with a picnic tap and it flowed just fine. Thanks everyone!

Back