-Ninkasi Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy Boner

Reaction score
:mug:Had a big write up in the local Eugene OR paper about the Ninkasi Brewery. I'm definitely checking out their tasting room. I've tried most of their brews anyways but, just got to go see it. They are a brewery only, no pub or food I guess. I think we will be trying to clone their beers soon. Kind of spendy,
$ 3.99 for a 22 oz. bomber but thr Total Domination IPA is the best IPA I've tried. I'm real partial to stouts, so the Oatis Oatmeal stout is my favorite.:mug:

I just saw Ninkasi Total Domination by the case of 22oz at Costco here in Hillsboro. I can't remember how much it was, but I didn't get it because I haven't tried it yet. I stopped by Safeway and picked one up on my way home, and may be going back to Costco tomorrow to get the case.

Man, I miss living in Eugene and drinking dollar pints of Ninkasi at the Starlight.

BTW, if you haven't already go give Hop Valley's Alphaholic a try.

Ninkasi is by far my favorite brewery right now. The Believer Double Red is so awesome. I would love to try and clone that.

I really enjoyed their pale ale and ESB when I was up there. Their hoppy stuff didn't do much for me.

We only get a few ninkasi's over here, but total domination really doesn't do much for me either. Seems too lightly hopped to me. If it were a pale ale, I would say it's good!

Seems too lightly hopped to me. If it were a pale ale, I would say it's good!

Really? A 65 ibu pale ale? You must be a Bend Hop Head. lol

I love all Ninkasi's beers!!! :tank:

Total Domination IPA
6.7% alc./vol. 65 ibus. Always available in 22 oz bottles, and on draft.

Anyone have a recipe clone for Ninkasi's Oatmeal Stout? Nice dark beer with a perfect hop flavor to it.

THANKS!

Bump for a Tricerahops clone...

The brewery is great. When I still lived in Oregon I took a tour of the brewery. I called ahead of time to see if I could set up a tour and they were like "just come in", well I showed up. "Are you here to taste or for a tour?", "uhm ... both?". The receptionist pointed out the taps and cups and asked me if I would like her to pour or if I would, well not knowing how full to fill the glass, beer show taste or full glass I had her pour it. Well, she filled it up. Shortly the "head brewer", as he introduced himself showed up to give me a tour. He spent about 30 minutes with me in between batches answering all my questions (sadly none were about recipes ;)). 30 minutes and two delicious pints later I left, a very satisfied customer.

Love Total Domination. Gotta get em fresh but if you do the hop aroma is very good. Cheap for a good IPA too!

:mug:Had a big write up in the local Eugene OR paper about the Ninkasi Brewery. I'm definitely checking out their tasting room. I've tried most of their brews anyways but, just got to go see it. They are a brewery only, no pub or food I guess. I think we will be trying to clone their beers soon. Kind of spendy,
$ 3.99 for a 22 oz. bomber but thr Total Domination IPA is the best IPA I've tried. I'm real partial to stouts, so the Oatis Oatmeal stout is my favorite.:mug:
Was in Eugene a couple weeks ago, while they don't have a kitchen, they do bring food in. Takes about 20 mins to get a hot pretzel with cheese soup dip.

Tricerahops is great. Really like the Believer and Otis too. Hope Jamie makes it back out to Sisters again for this year's Fresh Hops Festival in late Sept. Last year's offerings were very tasty.

Was in Eugene a couple weeks ago, while they don't have a kitchen, they do bring food in. Takes about 20 mins to get a hot pretzel with cheese soup dip.

Tricerahops is great. Really like the Believer and Otis too. Hope Jamie makes it back out to Sisters again for this year's Fresh Hops Festival in late Sept. Last year's offerings were very tasty.

Papa's Soul Food is right down the road from Ninkasi. Good s...!

eugene is the best place to live all ninkasi is GREAT

Then why do you live in Springfield? ;)

Ninkasi beers used to be incredibly variable. One batch would be great, another so loaded with diacetyl that you'd think you were eating movie popcorn. Their new system has helped their quality a lot.

Ninkasi just did a "Meet the Brewer" at a local watering hole in Florence, The Beachcomber. Met with Jamie Floyd and Nikos Ridge, who both made the drive over to the coast. They were both very eager to talk about their brewery and it was apparent that their mutual brewing interest and the desire to be to Eugene what Sierra Nevada is to Chico is the key to their success. The Believer Double Red is fantastic!!

I had one of my worst hangovers from their beers. But I had a blast. Really good beer stillnhave a bomber on my shelf.

Geez, no love for Oakshire? IMO they're far and away the brewery around here.

Oakshire Rocks!! Have they finished their expansion yet? Last time I was over they had started it, gotten rid of all their used kegs and had gone with MicroStar, and had some new brews bottled.

I just don't get over there enough!! Ill Tempered Gnome is one of my Faves!!

Kinda spendy... is this a sarcastic joke? $3.99 is ridiculously cheap!!! Great beers. I have their Oatis and Radiant being cellared currently

:mug:Well, in the craft brewing MECCA of the Pacific Northwest, most of the 22 oz. bombers of some of the best brews in the World sell for $2.99.:ban::mug:

:mug:Well, in the craft brewing MECCA of the Pacific Northwest, most of the 22 oz. bombers of some of the best brews in the World sell for $2.99.:ban::mug:

$2.99 I can't even thin of a bomber I have EVER bought that cheap. I am excited because I spotted a Rogue for $6.99. I lived like 5 mins from a brewery in CA and even that beer was about $4.99. "Best Brews" "$2.99" I am scratching my head here. :drunk:

Ah, I remember the good old days of thinking $3.99 bombers being spendy when I lived in the PNW. Not to mention the $6 six packs of Deschutes at the grocery store. Here in VA is a different story. Now everything is over $5 and I don't even blink an eye at the price. Luckily I brew!

I have to give another vote for Oakshire. Every beer I've had from them, which hasn't been too many unfortunately, has been delicious. I love their Stout!

Beer prices in Portland definitely took a little jump a little over a year ago. The $6 sale priced 6ers are now about $6.99. Fortunately, we have what I like to call the "perma-sales" - I can go to either Freddies or Plaid Pantry (has cheap micros around my house) and pretty much guarantee that they will have at least 1 if not several Oregon breweries on sale with $6.99 6packs, occasionally $5.99 at Plaid. 22s seem to be around $4.79 or more now for what I buy.

btw, there's a fun little calculator for calculating the cost per ounce on non 12oz bottles and giving you the equivalent price in 6 pack terms:
http://www.its-pub-night.com/2009/06/six-pack-equivalent-calculator.html

I had Nikasi's Unconventionale Imperial stout last week and was amazed by it. Was expecting it to be overhopped but had a perfect balance. Mmmm. Another shout out for Tricerahops and Hop Valley's Alpha Centauri for two great IIPA's. Oakshire's Espresso stout and kilted badger. I need to get down there and try their Hellshire.

I had Nikasi's Unconventionale Imperial stout last week and was amazed by it. Was expecting it to be overhopped but had a perfect balance. Mmmm. Another shout out for Tricerahops and Hop Valley's Alpha Centauri for two great IIPA's. Oakshire's Espresso stout and kilted badger. I need to get down there and try their Hellshire.

Yeah! At 11%+ I am waiting until tomorrow after work to try it.

Critical Hit Barleywine is now on tap at the tasting room, and if you had a chance to try the sample keg at the Bier Stein last winter, you are in a for a real treat now. Well, it's a treat either way, now that I think about it :rockin:

I have been a big fan of Ninkasi for a while now and while I don't mind paying $4 for a bomber I have been getting Ninkasi at the local Grocery Outlet for $3!!!!! Of course the selection is limited like always at GO, but 2 days ago they had 4 different Ninkasi's there including Radiant!

Can anyone tell me the hop schedule that I can use to create a Radiant clone?? I had one yesterday and I have found my true "flagship" ale taste to create. I have not done a serious search yet (cause I am lazy) so I thought I'd ask here since we all seem to be Ninkasi fans:rockin:

I have been working on a brown ale that tastes very close to Believer (IMHO) If someone wants to compare I would gladly share the recipe and appreciate any feedback on improvement!

Keep on Brewin!

Back