Everything I make stalls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calibrate your mash thermometer in both ice water and in boiling water adjusted for your elevation above sea level (water boils at different temperatures). Until that happens there is little use in discussing anything else.

I'm back!!!! Ordered a 600d and it finally came in. My thermometers don't go below 50f so I couldn't use ice. I started by inserting them (i have two thermometers) in warm water and taking up the temperature observing the difference. One thermometer kept within a few degrees for the entire range. The other thermometer, which I'm sure it's the one i was using, was 25 degrees low or more during the mash temperature range. Boiling it was ten degrees low.

Having found that out looks like I need to add beano to the beer?
I need to Brew asap and confirm the discovery. I still plan on using my stir plate

I've been brewing for years without a stir plate or oxygen infusion gear.
I've never had the "stalled" ferments described by the OP.
My 2 cents: Watch your mash temps and pitch a large, active amount of yeast, then be careful with your temperature unless you are using Hothead or some similar yeast.
When I get new yeast, I'll make a starter in a 1/2 gallon jug , maybe a pint of starter wort and then pitch that into a 2.5 gallon batch. I then pitch the whole yeast cake into a 5 gallon batch. After that, I only use 1/2 of the yeast cake into the next batch. No cell counts, but it seems to work ok for me.

FWIW- I can take an 1100 down to 0.999 with SAF 05 in 14 days over here. My avg ferment temps are in the 70-75ºf range. I just did it twice in a row, and just pitched 4 gallons on top of that cake and had airlock activity within two hours. Those were all grain at almost 80% 1st wort target. I'd give a hard look at your instruments as well ( calibration and heat sample) the amounts of grain (assuming you followed the grain bill, you did quite well with your efficiency)
I do make sure the PH is in a good place at mash as well as at pitch 5.5-5.6 I do use some Urea (Yeast Nute) since I am going pretty tall at 1100. I do use a teaspoon of gypsum for mash and a dash of Epsom too. If used after mash the gypsum precips out. I am going to assume you checked starch conversion too, with Iodine? I am sharing my good luck over so that you know it is doable with an 05 yeast.
I do come in after a couple days and stir vigorously to re oxygenate for that last run (prob from 1035- down to 1000) As I do wine, since wine is tall.
I make Stout 6 times a year and pitch the Porter on the Stout cake Usually an SAF 05 I do know that chocolate nibs cause a stall at the end, must be the cocoa oil, but I did not see that in your recipe...

Latest posts

Back