NHC 2015 San Diego- roll call!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought my tickets for the conference. I should be arriving in SD around June 7, to sightsee for a few days before the conference starts.

Who else is in? Who will have a beer with me in San Diego?

I will be there. I have not determined my travel dates. I do know the hotel said the blocks of rooms at the prices they're giving are only available during the conference dates. My family is about 2 hours north, so I may end up with them after the conference but if you find yourself with time, I'd have beers with you!

I just saw my email to pay today, it was in spam for some lame reason. I'll be paying today. :)

I won't be there. I'd love to go, for both SD and NHC, but you know, $$....

I did sign up for the AHA again, so I could vote for you and in case I won the lottery and I could fly out and hang with you guys. So I'm crossing my fingers.

Paid for my registration yesterday. Questionable whether I'll be able to go but hoping for the best.

hope to see a bunch of you there.

cheers--
--Michael

Four of us from our club are going. Will be arriving June 11th early and leaving late on the 14th. Wouldn't mind a beer. We are going to hit a few breweries, (Stone, Ballast,Green Flash, Port and others) and search for great fish taco's, plus the convention stuff. 4 day bender of sorts.

Hotel info came and I am surprised that just under 2 hours later there are only standard rooms left. There were other seemingly nicer rooms left, but I don't plan on being in there much. Glad to have reserved a room where the conference is as it makes for maximum shenanigans!

Hotel info came and I am surprised that just under 2 hours later there are only standard rooms left. There were other seemingly nicer rooms left, but I don't plan on being in there much. Glad to have reserved a room where the conference is as it makes for maximum shenanigans!

I know nice hotels cost alot- but it's like $700 with taxes and fees for 4 nights! I reserved a "tower" room, whatever that is, since they were all the same price.

I might have to try to find a roommate this time, as that is a bit pricey, and I want to go early and spend some time elsewhere in San Diego also. I was thinking about flying in Sunday, and then doing beachy things, or otherwise sight-see a bit until checking in to the convention hotel on Wednesday.

I know nice hotels cost alot- but it's like $700 with taxes and fees for 4 nights! I reserved a "tower" room, whatever that is, since they were all the same price.

I might have to try to find a roommate this time, as that is a bit pricey, and I want to go early and spend some time elsewhere in San Diego also. I was thinking about flying in Sunday, and then doing beachy things, or otherwise sight-see a bit until checking in to the convention hotel on Wednesday.

Yeah, I was going for the tower room, but the only CC I was carrying expires in May. I had no idea that I couldn't reserve the room using that card due to the expiration date being before the check in date. Makes sense. I didn't get home for 2 hours and by that time, only standard rooms were available. It sounds like they're bungalows. I'm hoping they're not weird. haha

I am flying in on the 10th and leaving Sunday to go up to see my family. I was flying in on the 11th, but I saw that I could check into the conference on the 10th and I figured I could find something to do that night. I haven't gotten my plane ticket yet though. I agree, the price is still expensive for the 4 nights.

I won't be attending but if anyone wants to set up a brew session while you are in San Diego let me know ide be more than happy to host for a fellow hbt member.

I see prices now, we booked our hotels a few months ago, and am glad. they have almost completely double for the same rooms.

Don't plan on much besides a passing out unit, so I guess as some point a room is a room

If I happen to win a giveaway I might make it, but otherwise not planning on it. Given a ~$1500 cost for airfare/hotel/conference I couldn't get my wife to sign off. Hopefully it's back to the mid-Atlantic or at least east coast next year.

I'm there Wed AM until Mon PM.

This will be my first NHC. I'm super excited about the seminars but of course I want to take in some of the fanfare and pageantry as well.

Yoop, can you update the 1st post with any events (outside of the main AHA schedule) that we should not be missing? Like I had no idea the BN had a party going on wed.....

I think a repository could be a good thing.

I'll be there!

I plan on hosting an informal mead sampling at some point.

Multiberry mead, pinot noir pyment, habanero mead, mango habanero mead, blackberry mead, sweet mead, citrus mead, raspberry mead, and whatever else I can find laying around...

I want to learn to make mead like yours! Mine always ends up too sweet. All the meads I tried at last year's NHC was awesome, except that bell pepper one... I can't remember who made that one. I bet Yooper remembers.

Yours and Saccharomyces were simply the best.

Four of us from our club are going. Will be arriving June 11th early and leaving late on the 14th. Wouldn't mind a beer. We are going to hit a few breweries, (Stone, Ballast,Green Flash, Port and others) and search for great fish taco's, plus the convention stuff. 4 day bender of sorts.

To help in your fish taco search:
http://sdfish.com/forums/t/best-fish-tacos-in-san-diego.148027/

I also will not be at the conference, but speaking of fish, if any of you visitor-types to our fair city wants to go out on the bay--or better yet, out to the kelp forest--with me on my little old 15' skiff for some fishing action, send me a PM. Mid-June is when the rockfish are still biting, the calico bass are picking up, the halibut might still be running, and it's not yet too hot and sunny out.

(I love showing people why I moved here!)

If we stay in the bay, I've got room for myself and perhaps two more adults...so long as they are less fat-ass than I. For a trip to the kelp I could fit myself plus one adult.

I will supply all the gear, PFD's etc. You'd just need yourself a license and whatever foods and snacks you like. No landlubbers or chummers, please :D

Fishing?!?! I could definitely be down for that! I assume there are one-day fishing license is for out-of-state residents in California? I'm serious- I would love that!

Fishing?!?! I could definitely be down for that! I assume there are one-day fishing license is for out-of-state residents in California? I'm serious- I would love that!

One-day is about $15, two-day about $23:
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Fishing

Includes all special validations (Ocean Enhancement, etc.) you'd need. And can be purchased and printed online instantly.

Exactly what days will you be out here? Weekends can get nuts at the launch ramp, weekdays in Summer are SO much more relaxed.

(Plus if you are staying awhile, there's a grunion run predicted for the following week, which always brings the halibut in.)

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/grunionschedule.asp#runs

EDIT: I saw you're coming in like Sun June 7...nice big incoming tides the mornings of June 8 and 9, always good!:
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/no...LW&timeUnits=2&interval=highlow&format=Submit

(8am-noon look like good windows of opportunity on those dates.)

I have not purchased my plane tickets yet but it does look like I would be coming in Sunday evening/night. I think a Monday or Tuesday morning would be sounding great to me!

I have not purchased my plane tickets yet but it does look like I would be coming in Sunday evening/night. I think a Monday or Tuesday morning would be sounding great to me!

OK let me know.

BTW if you are staying at the Town & Country (or any of the hotels on Hotel Circle) that is literally right on my way out the 8 West to the Shelter Island launch ramp, I could pick you up. As long as you don't mind a rusty truck.

I wont be attending HBC 2015, but Im more than happy to grab a few pints with some fellow HBT'ers or have a brew session. I can set up a pretty sweet list of breweries to check out

Another local here, who also will not be attending NHC, unfortunately. However, I'll be following this thread, and would love to grab some beers with fellow HBTer's.

Also, I can help provide some suggestions on places to visit... such as food/restaurants/beaches/breweries/pubs/bottleshops.

Another local here, who also will not be attending NHC, unfortunately. However, I'll be following this thread, and would love to grab some beers with fellow HBTer's.

Also, I can help provide some suggestions on places to visit... such as food/restaurants/beaches/breweries/pubs/bottleshops.

This ^^. Should we put together a SD field trip schedule? haha

Every year the night before NHC starts I organize a group of people on a bus trip. Usually we hit a few breweries and craft beer bars in the area. I try to hit the lesser known or out of the way places to make the trip unique.

Perhaps you locals that aren't hitting the conference can attend the tour or help me organize it with suggestions for transportation and destinations.

I plan to be finalizing the tour info & schedule by May.

have fun all. the last one i was on was in '90 in san fran. by sunday morning i was literally pickled. beer for breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snack.

OK let me know.

BTW if you are staying at the Town & Country (or any of the hotels on Hotel Circle) that is literally right on my way out the 8 West to the Shelter Island launch ramp, I could pick you up. As long as you don't mind a rusty truck.

I don't mind a rusty truck, and have been known to drive one myself.

I don't have reservations for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday yet and I have no idea where I'm staying for those nights but I will definitely inquire as to the location when I book. I was thinking of staying closer to places I'd like to visit, plus someplace that would be cheaper for a few days.

Every year the night before NHC starts I organize a group of people on a bus trip. Usually we hit a few breweries and craft beer bars in the area. I try to hit the lesser known or out of the way places to make the trip unique.

Perhaps you locals that aren't hitting the conference can attend the tour or help me organize it with suggestions for transportation and destinations.

I plan to be finalizing the tour info & schedule by May.

Please do!

Will be in SD all that week visiting friends, our hotel is in Solona Beach, I have been given a day to do White Labs/Stone/Pizza Port whoever else might be close...

Back