NHC 2015 San Diego- roll call!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got home at 2:00 this morning after 2 extra unscheduled days in San Diego due to weather around the country. So worth it!! NHC was a blast this year, and I especially enjoyed hanging out with you @yooper and @agrazela. Fishing in the bay was awesome, and I can't tell you how cool it felt to pull up some fish off the stern of the USS Midway. Thanks to all the great people I met, I had a wonderful time.

Last edited:
I am home, and unbelievably, my luggage made it too!

As of 8 AM PDT, I still had no confirmed flight home but they put me on a plane to Minneapolis where I expected to stay overnight. They tried sending me all over the place- Detroit, Green Bay, Minneapolis, Wausau (Wisconsin), Chicago- and couldn't get me close to home. I had several confirmed flights to places I didn't want to go, but couldn't get into northern Wisconsin or Upper Michigan as "all of the flights were oversold" per Delta.

Suddenly, I was at MSP and a lightening bolt hit. I kid you not. That meant ALL flights were not allowed to take off, or to land. "The ramps are closed" was the announcement. As I sat and just realized that I was in a horror movie, they said, "We can board" as I had requested as a stand-by.

Since the planes in the air were circling and not landing, and of course this flight was oversold as well, the plane boarded and ONE seat was left unfilled by some poor schmuck still trying to land. They told me it was MINE- and I had no boarding pass or anything at that moment as they worked it out, but I jumped on as I frantically called Bob to leave right away to pick me up (it's 1.5 hours to the airport). No answer, but I still was grateful to have a seat actually going to a state that was next to my home!!!!!! I ended up in central Wisconsin at 3:30 this afternoon and Bob got there about 20 minutes after the plane.

I'm HOME! And I'm never ever flying again.

Until next time. :D

Finally got home at 2:00 this morning after 2 extra unscheduled days in San Diego due to weather around the country. So worth it!! NHC was a blast this year, and I especially enjoyed hanging out with you @yooper and @agrazela. Fishing in the bay was awesome, and I can't tell you how cool it felt to pull up some fish off the stern of the USS Midway. Thanks to all the great people I met, I had a wonderful time.

Welcome "home"! I thought you were leaving after me, but apparently my canceled and aborted flights kept me in SD longer. What a great time we had together! Thank you for buying my lunch the other day (Monday?) and the fun times!

amazing time as always. thanks to Youps for reigning us in, and to Soper for creating reasons to need to be reigned in :D

so much sour beer at club night... my tummy was feeling it saturday morning :drunk:

to all crazies i saw in SD: hope to see some/most of you in ol' balwmor next year, hon!

yup, ended this past saturday. more info: http://www.ahaconference.org/

Haha- you know how Soper started the saying a couple of years ago, "NHC is over when I say it's over"?

Eric (Sacc) told me a new one last night, due to my travel travails: "NHC is over when DELTA says it's over"!

Delta sucks, by the way. I may have mentioned that.

Ok, now that I'm home and can think about the last two weeks, I have to say that once again I am so impressed by the quality of homebrewers as people.

I've reconnected with old friends, some newer friends, and some brand new friends came my way.

The HBT'ers I met and spent time with were awesome. Some new friends, like @Brewbien, meeting up with some of my old friends, like @BSDX, and then even a guy at Stone who introduced himself ( @paulegli ), a brewer who made a beer I really liked and wondered about ( @LVGriff ) and so many more people who make this hobby such a wonderful group of comrades.

I'm pretty sure you won't ever see such a huge group of people (+3000, I believe) who drink where never a cross word is spoken.

From "Will it Sink or Will it Float?" in the Lion Fountain to 8AM coffees, I had an opportunity to visit with some of the best people around. I was so honored to have so many people from HBT accompany me on some of my adventures, and sometimes I laughed so hard my jaw hurt.

I learned new words. "Motorboating" was one. :D

I drank good homebrews, and some great ones. I went to wonderful breweries, and heard some good new seminars. I had a great time meeting people I only "knew" from the forum like @TobyG and @kev211 . I met friends of friends- @msbrewblog who introduced me to one of his friends for one. My favorite homebrew club (because they let me be a member), the Austin Zealots, let me wear a viking helmet for a while. The 2015 Soper Tour was awesome, as usual. Pro brewers night was really great this year. I loved Club night.

I'm pretty sure I asked old friends about their lives, and didn't realize @sweetcell that sometimes more than one child can come at once(!) and catching up was wonderful.

Fishing with @agrazela was one of the high points for me. But all of the rest was wonderful as well.

"I love you man!" is the jist of this, although I'm not quite to that stage.

But I do! This group of homebrewers really have become friends in real life, and I am so grateful and thankful.

Baltimore 2016.

Not attending the conference, but as a SD local I feel really spoiled reading this thread☺. BTW if you are going to ballast point in Miramar there is a new brewery called Duckfoot around the corner that is really excellent (and I happen to know one of the owners)

Crap! I just read this. I was organizing my tour a month ago and this could have been good info......Oh well, I'll check them out in 3 yrs when NHC is back in SD. We did enjoy the BP tour however.

Anyone still in town? My plane doesn't leave until 9pm

Crap dude! Me & Saccharomyces & a couple others were still rabblerousing around Sunday night. We hit about 4 places around North Park area. We could have used another partner. Sorry. Grab my cell # before next NHC, I usually try to stay a day or so for detox before traveling home.

Great seeing everyone this year! As usual I had a blast. I go to these every year for the social camaraderie with you guys, the Zealots, and a few others I've meet only at previous NHCs.

Like I said on FB, If NHC were held in ISIS controlled territory, I'd still attend because I love it so much and it's the best time I have all year.

We have a very special group on this forum as @Yooper already pointed out. In fact, just tonight I met @mutedog out for a beer because he was in Phoenix area for work this week. If it were not for this forum we never would have met. It's fun hanging out with other members on HBT and sharing stories, etc.

I plan to attend my 7th NHC in Baltimore next year and also plan to arrange another SoperTour. Hope to see you all there.

My liver hurts.

As usual, SoperTour was one of the highlights. Thank you for organizing that so well.

Oh, and please tell Dale that all of the T-shirts sold and he did a great job with them!

we were overwhelmed! Sorry we didn't meet many people as we decided to go find food/beer in town each evening and had such a good time at various places, we never got back in time for any of the onsite festivities! One night in Ocean Beach, one night on 30th, one at Stone Liberty Station and one running all over including a great time at Bottlecraft! Just too dang many places in San Diego and not enough time. Next time we will plan differently.

Crap dude! Me & Saccharomyces & a couple others were still rabblerousing around Sunday night. We hit about 4 places around North Park area. We could have used another partner. Sorry. Grab my cell # before next NHC, I usually try to stay a day or so for detox before traveling home.

That's so funny, that's exactly what I did. I started at Fall Brewing and just walked to Pour House, Tiger! Tiger!, Belching Beaver, Mike Hess, and Thorn St. Then I caught an uber to Societe.

For sure. I'll have to get your contact info and make sure to get on the Soper Tour next year.

Had so much fun this year.

After a great NHC and a trip to Disney that involved mild concussions, vomit on my shoes (and not my vomit), and late night trips to the ER with my youngest I am finally home. Also, remember how I sort of was losing my voice a little after club night, figured it was all the yelling and night air, well guess who has had a massive case of the flu since Monday…

It's me by the way.

What a trip!!!

After a great NHC and a trip to Disney that involved mild concussions, vomit on my shoes (and not my vomit), and late night trips to the ER with my youngest I am finally home. Also, remember how I sort of was losing my voice a little after club night, figured it was all the yelling and night air, well guess who has had a massive case of the flu since Monday…

It's me by the way.

What a trip!!!

And to think that I complained of a minor headache Saturday morning! :rockin:

It's me by the way.

What a trip!!!

Wow- I can't believe that. It was great hanging with you, and I had a hoarse voice as well (I think I might have talked a little bit) but I'm just fine and dandy here.

Sorry about the concussions and vomit and ER visits. Beer vacations are obviously much safer than Disneyland, so you'll know that next time.

And to think that I complained of a minor headache Saturday morning! :rockin:

In retrospect, my hungover Thursday was but a foreshadow of the week to come! :eek:

Beer vacations are obviously much safer than Disneyland, so you'll know that next time.

Apparently! :rolleyes:

Back