NHC 2014 - what category to enter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moerdertaktiken

Reaction score
So I brewed a Baltic porter 3 months ago and did a partigyle. To the second runnings, I added various crystal malts and a touch of chocolate malt. Hopped to 20 IBUs. The idea for this is a dark saison. Fermented with 3711 and a ton of sour dregs: some of which include jester king, the bruery and Praire ales. OG 1.052 FG 1.006. Fast forward to today, it's been in the bottle for a little over a month and is getting nice and funky and very tart.
Now for my questions: I am entering this in the Belgian specialty category (I think it's 16e). Is this a good choice or is there another category which it may do better in? Also, I have to write in the beer description and the only thing it mandates is that I state the intended style, to which I put "dark saison." What else should I include in this section (intended characteristics, commercial example or tasting notes?)? This is my first time entering into the NHC and could definitely use some advice! How many entries were you guys granted? I got 4.

Good luck everyone!
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's prob the category I'd go with if I'd made it. For the description, I think you're fine putting "dark saison" but I'd also include "sour", so "sour dark saison". I'd also put something along the lines of "fermented with traditional saison yeast plus various brett strains, pedio, and lacto."

Back