newcastle clone off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeinog

Reaction score
So i bottled a newcastle clone today and tasted it. i noticed like a non salty bad bacon taste to it thats hard to explain. im wondering if this will condition off. i left it in the primary for 4 to 5 weeks and the temps been kinda warm cause i didnt put it in a water bath. (its hot here in vegas and this was my last batch of the season) im a little worried left it in primary to long or let the temp get to warm. its something that ill still drink but not wanting to share it with coworkers if the flavors dont condition out.

If you fermented high, it's very likely it's an off-flavor from stressing the yeast, and it's also likely you can condition most of it out over time, but you're looking at keeping them in bottles for something on the order of 2-3 months for the off flavor to mellow. Just throw the bottles in a dark closet somewhere and forget about them until late May/early June. If that doesn't do it, nothing will.

The worst beer I ever brewed was a "Newcastle clone" using S-04 dry yeast that got stressed. The temp control was perfect but I still ended up with 11 gallons of undrinkable swill!

BigFloyd: What is wrong with Nottingham? I've never had an off flavor caused by that neutral ale yeast.

BigFloyd: What is wrong with Nottingham? I've never had an off flavor caused by that neutral ale yeast.

Nothing at all wrong with Notty. I happen to like it very much and plan to use it next batch (at 55*F for the first week, then a slow step-up to 60*F and finally a D-rest before kegging).

The problem, as already noted, is when folks use it without the ability to keep the fermentation temp below 68*F and let it get up into the mid-70's and even higher. It's not a good yeast selection for that sort of treatment.

(still wondering what the OP used)

What yeast did you use?

(please don't say "Nottingham")

nottingham. im hopping to have a mini fridge by next spring to avoid this problem in the future and brew all year long. assuming the temp was about apartment temp was about 74 to 75 my new fermentor doesnt have a thermomater yet. i use the stick on kind and got so busy at work forgot about the beer longer ten id planned. started getting warm and went hey i should get that off the trub since the ac is starting to kick on. i should know better. ill keep you posted in a few months then. ive noticed with my larger flip tops bottle conditioning took longer with my alaskan amber clone. i did it about half 12oz long neck and half grolsch flip tops this time just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

lol non salty bad bacon? I can't relate to that at all.

But I will agree that Notty (and S-04 as well) at higher temps do not turn out well. If the first 48 hours or so were overly warm, then it was doomed from the start. The temp wouldn't be apartment temp by the way either, the fermentation temp would actually be quite a bit higher. Next time do whatever you can to keep those first 48 hours cool and controlled, you'll see a much better difference!

ty. now that i think about it my brew temp is usually higher then the apartment temp. i dont use the heater in winter just to avoid it. reading through threads last night i read burnt rubber. i guess you could call it that but in a very mild form. the recipe i had called for 1098 british yeast or 1028 london ale yeast my hbs doesnt carry he said notty would be his closest.

Now you know from experience. Temperature control is one of the most important parts of making great beer!

A $50 used fridge off craigslist and a digital temp control has been my best brewing purchase to date.

Now you know from experience. Temperature control is one of the most important parts of making great beer!

A $50 used fridge off craigslist and a digital temp control has been my best brewing purchase to date.

+100. That's one of the best brew equipment purchases you can make since a control box with an STC-1000 can be built for about $30.

Nottingham is a good dry yeast and I like it. You can ferment with it down as low as 55*F for lager-like results. But, if you can't keep the fermenter temp down below 68*F, it's best to use something else.

Back