Newbie to kegging has some questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skoodog

Reaction score
Hi all,

So here's the story - my future SWMBO and I are tying the knot and to save money (yes, that's why we need to invest in kegging, dear), I'm brewing the beer for our wedding reception! :)

I'm planning three beers so I've already got one corny and two more on the way as part of a Christmas present from the folks, and a single regulator - until I had a conversation with our caterer/bartender who says that I'll need to provide the regulator as well given they're ball-lock kegs vs standard commercial...oh noes! More kegging gear we need for the wedding!! :ban:

Now to my question - eventually, I'll be putting all these cornies in a keezer and running them off a single CO2 tank (until i enter the foray of beer gas, but that's way down the line), so I'm wondering if I should pony up and get a three-way secondary air regulator or save and get the three-way manifold dispenser where the regulator runs my CO2 tank at the same rate to all three. The manifold dispenser is cheaper by a factor of three so the cost-conscious person that is me leans that way, but which way do I go to future-proof myself?

Disclaimer: I don't know ANYTHING about kegging so if my question is stupid I apologize in advance. Thanks!

HI and welcome. In my set-up I have a govener regulator and a 4 way manifold. Seems to work well for me. One tip I do have is don't go cheap on your Regulator. Enjoy and congrats on getting married

I will say that i went with the manifold, and I wish that I would have spent the extra to get the secondary regulators. You can certainly go with the manifold and it will work great. I just want to be able to set the pressure on each keg as needed.

I force carb and currently have to shut the gas off to the kegs that are carbed while I am force carbing the new kegs.

Also don't get the cheapo regulators, like a KegCo, you will regret it in the long run. Get a good quality one and you will be happy.

I use a manifold still without an issue. The only reason to use secondary regulators (and its a good reason) is if you want your kegs at different pressures.

I don't personally obsess over making sure a carbonation level is within style unless it's for a competition. I usually just go by feel.

That being said, I'm planning to upgrade to a secondary regulator system later on, because it makes bottling and burst carbonating easier.

In your situation I would go with the manifold and upgrade later.

I went with a dual body Taprite plus three port manifold. That way you can have three kegs on tap while using the second body to burst carb a fourth keg. You can always add secondary regulators later on if you want.

Brew on :mug:

Another vote for the manifold.

Don't skimp on the keg lube.

And on the day of the wedding, make sure someone else (knowledgeable in kegging and serving beer) is taking care of the beer situation.

And you might want to considering filtering the beer, as they will be cloudy from being moved around otherwise.

I currently have only one regulator and 4 kegs on tap. I just disconnect the other kegs when I want to carb one up at 30psi.

You don't even need a manifold. Just order T's and run it all off of the one.

Then just take your tank and regulator to the wedding.

I'm doing this for the sister in law's wedding. Everything is very portable.

Currently I have no desire to get another regulator either.

I have to go against what most here have said and say just get a 3-product secondary regulator. They're not really all that expensive. I have this Taprite 3-product secondary which currently cost $125: http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...683ST_three_product_secondary_regulator.shtml

It's great to be able to carbonate my Coconut Porter to 10psi while also having my Hefeweizen at 15psi and my IPA at 12psi. It's a one time purchase and would imagine it will last me a lifetime.

Rev.

I have a dual regulator setup on my tank, and have a manifold on each regulator in my 10-keg keezer. I always have a good number of belgian beers so I like having two pressures, but I dont think a regulator for each keg is needed.

HI and welcome. In my set-up I have a govener regulator and a 4 way manifold. Seems to work well for me. One tip I do have is don't go cheap on your Regulator. Enjoy and congrats on getting married

Thanks so much for all the great responses first and foremost!

Elko, to your question, does the governor regulator count as not cheaping out? Mine came with this regulator as part of the latest NB sale on reconditioned kegs.

Thanks to the overwhelming responses I think I'm going with three-manifold as even though I'll have a BJCP-certified beer judge at the wedding he knows I'm a hack and everyone else's palate is less discerning. :)

Another thing to consider is if you'd like to do CO2 transfers and purging of kegs/carboys/growlers. I have a dual regulator mounted outside of the refrigerator with a 1/4" nylon tube meant for Parker Prestolok fittings. The first regulator I can do all of the purging/transfers with (I just keep the Prestolok union on, so I can stab on different adapters). The second regulator goes into the keg refrigerator and is connected to a 4 port manifold.

Out of view is the 50lb CO2 tank...
1.jpg

2.jpg

A couple errors were just pointed out to me in this article.

1. the size descriptions of the ball lock vs pin lock are backwards, it's the ball locks that are taller and thinner.

2. Make sure that after you fill your keg you purge the oxygen from the headspace over the beer. I do this by setting my regulator to 12 psi, hitting the keg with a burst of gas, let it sit for 2 minutes to let the heavier co2 sink, then pull the pressure relief, or disconnect the gas line and depress the poppet to let all the gas out. Repeat this process 3 times and you should be good to go.

Sorry for the mistakes! I'm working on getting them corrected in the article.

HI skoodog I have been using a Governer regulator for a few years and never have had any problems with it. They are a good quality regulator for a good price.

Back