Buying used - what to look out for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninkwood

Reaction score
I'm planning to take a trip to look at buying a used brewing setup. The seller has an Anvil Foundry, and most of the components to build out a three tap keezer, including 6 Corny kegs.

I'm fairly comfortable taking my chances with the foundry, but I'm a bit concerned about the kegs. I understand that seals can be swapped out - is this something that I should plan for going in and factor into the price I'm willing to pay? What else should I look out for when inspecting the kegs in particular but any other components in general (including Nukataps, CO2 tank/regulator, CO2 manifold)?

Thanks for taking the time to help out!

If we’re talking about old soda kegs that haven’t been used in many years, replacing all the seals first thing is probably the way to go. If these are kegs that someone has recently been using for homebrew, that might be overcautious. You could ask them if the kegs hold pressure, if you think they’re going to be honest with you.

Nukataps haven’t been around long enough to really get worn out, though I suppose abuse is always possible. And if you’re swapping (rather than refilling) your CO2 tank, its condition isn’t that critical.

Watch out for prices that are the same as what you can buy retail.

If you don't already have quite a few brews behind you, then you might be getting equipment that will pigeonhole you into making beer in ways you don't enjoy making beer.

Great info, thanks all of you!

It's a bit difficult to price out since there's alot included that isn't pictured. I'll know more when I go check it out in person.

What I've done is filled a cart on an online retailer to get a sense of what a similar basket would cost me. I only really want 2 kegs to start and this guy has 6 for sale. I'd rather pay full price for 2 brand new ones than even half price for 6 as that's overkill for me right now. I think I'll just base my offer on the cost of buying new, discounting maybe 30% for buying used. Does that sound like a good option?

It seems I can replace the seals and tubes for relatively cheap on the kegs from the research I've done.

It seems I can replace the seals and tubes for relatively cheap on the kegs from the research I've done.
Personally I enjoy rebuilding old stuff but it sounds like you don't really want to have to do anything too major. Replacing o-rings is pretty straightforward. Replacing poppets and posts may or may not be. And "universal" parts don't always fit, especially on some of the less common older kegs. So I'd say the most important thing beyond overall condition is to make sure that the lid and posts look like the ones you've seen pictures of when you were doing your research.

Great info, thanks all of you!

It's a bit difficult to price out since there's alot included that isn't pictured. I'll know more when I go check it out in person.

What I've done is filled a cart on an online retailer to get a sense of what a similar basket would cost me. I only really want 2 kegs to start and this guy has 6 for sale. I'd rather pay full price for 2 brand new ones than even half price for 6 as that's overkill for me right now. I think I'll just base my offer on the cost of buying new, discounting maybe 30% for buying used. Does that sound like a good option?

No I don't think it is a good option to discount at 30% as your offer. You'd be paying too much most likely for kegs as an example. It's sort of a pastime for me to scour the FB Marketplace and other spots for homebrew gear. Kegs for example range from barely used to barely holds pressure (or not). And now a few different styles of manufactering and quality plus demand is different. Three and two and a half gallon kegs currently run about $10-20 more than a five gallon used. Torpedo kegs generally do discount around 30%, usually priced between $60-100. They are fairly new usually. However, rubber top kegs will be a little less than that if fairly new, and the metal strap ones a little less than those. I am seeing fewer old kegs out there, these are getting beaten to death. Usually $40-60. Buy more save more usually a deal can be had for multiples. Pin locks though are the lowest price as they are old and fat and everyone wants ball locks because they are skinny. Pin locks aren't worth more than $20-$40 but I am not sure new pin locks are even made, perhaps though.

A good way to determine what you might pay is to find a number of used items that are about the same product and see what the market is asking for them. That makes you more of an informed consumer. Be aware though that prices asked aren't exactly what the item will sell for as the seller may be overvaluing their treasured hobby pieces or looking to pass them on or just get rid of them. Watch for price drops in short time periods they want to sell. Watch for somewhat drastic drops, also want to sell and/or realized they overpriced it. Sitting near the garage door, back door but would be sort of in the way--cleaning house, significant other wants it gone! Divorce or moving could be a great score! Little kids, no time to brew, giving it up. If you can, bookmark/save the item and check back for price drops. Now if the item is unique or already you think it's a good deal make an offer.

Now unfortunately I did not look at your location until I was done writing. It's possible the values I put on the kegs are different as well as possibly even the relative differences aren't quite the same as I don't look at prices abroad from the US.

For the regulator if it has a slotted screw to adjust the pressure I would pass on it personally unless it was really cheap. It's like getting a pin lock keg. Make sure the dials aren't broke and that the faceplate (where the numbers are) is straight and not curved bent. The needle should be on the side of the pin that has 0,1,2,... not the other side. I prefer flare threads on the inline valves on the manifold, not barbs. Those valves run about $8-10 US. If you need to replace them, you could almost buy a new one. With flare threads you can use push to connect fittings and Evabarrier lines.

Here are some thoughts that I have for you.
1. You say you only need 2 kegs, I assume that is for serving beer. You may want to get a few more kegs to hold cleaner, sanitizer or beer line cleaner to help you maintain your future kegerator/keezer. Besides if you get all 3 faucets and use them in your kegerator/keezer build, you will likely need 6 or more kegs.
2. I would think that 50% of retail is a fair price for used gear.
3. Decide what you want to do with the CO2 tank. Do you want to swap or own? What's offered from CO2 vendors close to you. If it's a fairly new tank and the hydro date stamp still valid and has a few years on it, you may want to own. If so check the date of the hydro stamp. Otherwise do a swap, but be sure you have a place that is willing to do that.
4. Ask that all of the kegs be pressurized the day before you arrive to inspect them and then verify that they are still holding pressure.
5. It is best if the regulator and manifold has MFL fittings and not hose barbs. This is mentioned above, but is worth repeating.
6. You didn't mention a fermentor. You are going to need one if you don't have one already. I would be sure to ask and see if the seller has one for sale.
Good Luck!

Do plenty of homework outside an enthusiast forum to balance the perspective, and don't get set too much on prices before you see the gear and the seller in person.

Personally, if someone is going to ask me to jump through a bunch of hoops on used, as is gear it'll be reflected in how much I might be willing to budge if I even want to deal with it at all.

And, like on used cornys, to me seals are not a bargaing chip because odds are you're going to break them down for thorough cleaning anyway. I have in every case of buying used cornys.

My .02 you got free. ;)

Last edited:
I'll take some time to dig into these responses after work, but I'm thinking it might be a better idea for me to just bite the bullet and go new.

I'm quite technically savvy, but I have no hands on experience with kegs and CO2, so I think that it's unrealistic for me to expect to be able to assertain what is a fair price on something like this at this stage.

I definitely will want more than 2 kegs at some point, but I'm starting small. I'll only be pouring 1 beer at a time for the first bit. Once I've owned a keg and had hands on experience, I'll be in a better place to be looking to buy used equipment. There's some potential cost savings by purchasing used from this seller, but I don't think it's worth the time cost of travel, research and the added risk as well.

Thanks again for all the help!!

This seller has a bunch of buckets he's including, but I'm planning on buying a new fermzilla anyway. It seems like a good option as I can pressure ferment/transfer if I like without breaking the bank.

A fair price, meaning around going rate, isn't really all that hard to ascertain.

Have you checked asking prices on Craigslist, Marketplace? Asking prices and completed sales on eBay?

Back