newb winemaking/apfelwein questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brkoerner

Reaction score
I have a batch of Ed Worts Apfelwein fermenting now and hoping itll be done around xmas. have a few questions for yall

1-can you reuse a screw top wine bottle and cork it?

2-whats the best and cheapest corker to use?

3-i plan on sending a few bottles to some family, and tips on shipping bottles?

4-with Apfelwien at what age is it generally the best and does it age well?

thats it for now thanks for the help in advance

and Happy Thanksgiving to yall

1) if that's all you've got it works fine. I corked them a lot when I started brewing, but has phased them out for the most part and have mostly bottles that only had corks to start with. :) I've never had a problem with it.

2) I use this corker. it was cheaper when I got it at the homebrew store. I want to say like $15.

3) It is illegal to send wine across state lines via the USPS or UPS or FEDEX without a permit. But if you were a low down evil criminal I suppose that as long as you're absolutely sure they're stabilized and won't carb and explode it's no problem. When they ask if there's liquid in there just say yes and say it's preserves or fruit juice or something. That's what you'd do if you were a criminal. Which I know you aren't. So I'm not suggesting you break the law, because I've NEVER done this before. lol Do we understand one another?

4) I'm not the one to ask. I am an apfelwien failure. Or maybe I just don't like apfelwien.

ive got 2 more quick questions?

1-how bad is it that the lid on my bucket may not have been on completely for bout a week?

2-what are yall's thoughts bout adding a can of apple juice concentrate to 5 gal?

brkoerner said:
ive got 2 more quick questions?

1-how bad is it that the lid on my bucket may not have been on completely for bout a week?

2-what are yall's thoughts bout adding a can of apple juice concentrate to 5 gal?

How bad is it? Well I guess that depends on wether or not you have an infection....

As for the concentrate I do not know the answer, but I do know it was answered many many times in the Apfelwein thread so you should check there.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

My experience with Ed Wort's recipe has been positive. I've been using rougemont apple juice from costco.

Pitched with EC-1118 and fermentation is finished by day 3 or 4. Then I let it sit for a few days (3) and then shake it to resuspend all the yeast. Then watch as your yeast fall to the bottom. I'm not sure if the previous shaking makes this occur faster but I feel it does. When they've fallen to the bottom (about 2-3 days) I'll rack it off the lees. Then I degas/stabilize and let it sit for a few days before drinking. It tastes nasty if you drink it too soon, but it soon will taste much better. I find that from start to finish after about 2 weeks I'm done and I'm enjoying it. I don't know how good it is when it ages, but I love it after this period of time. And it gots to be cold. Best served chilled.

Personally I like to keep the apple wine in the rougemont 2L bottles it came in and always keep 2 in the fridge. Tastes amazing cold, and super freaking awesome when mixed with sprite or something. I plan on bottling some but I don't see the point since I drink it so quickly.

good luck!!

thanks for the responses

I dont know how it tastes yet

I started it the sunday before thanksgiving (nov 20) and when I came back after the weekend and within a few days I realized that I didnt have the lid sealed completely

It is a federal offense to send alcohol through the USPS. I am pretty sure this is because of its flammable nature (try setting a beer or glass of apfelwine for that matter on fire). It is only against company policy for Fed Ex and UPS. I have never shipped alcohol through Fed Ex, but I have maybe shipped "Live Yeast Cultures." Most of the time they do not even require you to list what is inside. The biggest travesty would not be wasting your apfelwin or your present not getting there in one piece. The biggest travesty would be your bottle breaking, apfelwin leaking into the packages below yours and you ruin the goods of other people. 12 ounce bottles fit in ziploc bags very well, and then maybe double bag if you are nervous. Wrap in bubble wrap and pack with packing peanuts and you will be fine.

I am much more confident in the ability of my capper than of any screw top wine bottle. I have more than plenty 12 ounce bottles, which is why I cap everything. No nead to worry about corking here. If I am doing something special, I'll put it in a bomber, liter, or Champagne bottle. About 1/2 of the champagne bottles I have use the standard 26 mm caps, the rest use the 29 mm caps. I bought a second 29mm bell for my red baron capper, flip the plates, and voila, I have have about a case of champagne bottles in my basement full of assorted meads and beers that i pull out for special occasions.

given the rate at which my apflewin kicked off CO2, I don't think your bucket not full sealed should be an issue. I think there will be a healthy C02 blanket.

Latest posts

Back