New whirlpool tool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvcjbl

Reaction score
So I was researching how I can get a better whirlpool in a pretty limited space. I have a 15 gallon Blichmann Boilermaker with Blichmann Hop Blocker. I brew 5 gallon batches in this and run into space issues. What I mean is that the space between the hop blocker and the boilermaker isn't sufficient enough for me to get my spoon moving fast enough to create any kind of noticeable whirlpooling. I noticed people using paint stirrers and decided a trip to Home Depot was in order. While there I came across this beauty:

b96c50c2.jpg

f5445af1.jpg

I tested it and it actually works TOO GOOD. It created such a huge whirlpool that it volcanoed out of the bucket (water thankfully) all over me and my freshly put on clothes. The drill only needed to be operated about 1/4 trigger to get a whirlpool from the top of the 5 gallon paint bucket all the way to the bottom with ease.

Here is a link to the actual product:

Pictured Paint Mixer

I'll post my findings tomorrow when I brew and get to my whirlpool.

How'd it work?

The runoffs to the fermenter were the clearest I have ever had with the least amount of break material/hops. It created a lot of foam, so I know I went a little fast. I should be brewing again this weekend and will be trying to perfect my technique. I am thinking about switching from the corded drills I used (convenient) to my cordless Dewalt on speed 1 (slowest) to force less foaming.

How long are you running this to get effective results?

This last time I spun it in the chilled beer for about 2-3 mins and then let it do its thing for about 10 mins. This was my first time using it. Next time I may do long spin at slower speed and a longer rest for ~15-30 mins.

So I've never whirlpooled before--is this something I can do in the kettle once the wort has been chilled, then rack to the fermenter using my autosiphon?

what about santiation? are you boiling it, or just a cleaning and dip in starsan?

pretty sure a dip in the BK before flame out is going to kill any bugs. from there just wash and put away just like you would your chiller

-=Jason=-

You use this at near boiling temps or when everything cools down? I'm looking for a budget whirlpool mixer to take the place of a pump that I'm too cheap to spend money on...

HHP said:
what about santiation? are you boiling it, or just a cleaning and dip in starsan?

Being that the blades are pretty rigid plastic I just drop the whole thing in a bucket of star-san while I'm cooling.

phoenixs4r said:
You use this at near boiling temps or when everything cools down? I'm looking for a budget whirlpool mixer to take the place of a pump that I'm too cheap to spend money on...

I'm chilling to bellow pitching temps and the. Whirlpooling... Allowing to settle and at that point should be at or just a bit bellow pitching temps.

I just might have to get me one of those!! Thinking of a little motor that can be attached and easily mounted and dismounted on the side of the kettle and put it on with a minute left in the boil and use it to stir the wort during chilling and then ramp it up for a cold whirlpool :)

That thing, put on a slow electric motor would work miracles at bottling time... no more oxidation, and no more uneven priming... :ban:

Now, to convince SWMBO. :D

That thing, put on a slow electric motor would work miracles at bottling time... no more oxidation, and no more uneven priming... :ban:

Now, to convince SWMBO. :D

As my SWMBO is right here rubbing the back of my neck... even she is laughing at the "convincing" due to the fact that it is $6.98

Mmmm could be used in electric brewing to keep the wort moving away from heat elements too. Think I need an Auto-Stir contraption!

looks like it would work great. i dont know if i would put it into boiling wort tho. who knows what kind of plastic it is and what the heat might release into your beer. im sure it would be fine at lower temps tho.

As my SWMBO is right here rubbing the back of my neck... even she is laughing at the "convincing" due to the fact that it is $6.98

Haha, she knows me so well... honestly, if I enter a hardware store, I can easily break the bank... haha! Hence the "convicing". :D

It's made of Polypropylene and should be fairly heat resistant - even at boiling temps. According to wikipedia - so you know it must be true :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, but they're powder coated, glossy, and tough. and unless you're stirring sand for 3 hours, it works just fine.

Of course how I use it is for my mash - which will be boiled. Haven't used it to whirlpool - I may have to blow 6 bucks on the above....y'know, tool specialization... no, honey, that ones for the mash; we have to use this one to whirlpool...

Used it again today for the second time. No foaming and excellent results. The key is to hover just off bottom and hold it steady. I didn't come to max speed on the drill but about 70% at some points.

I picked up one of this for my last brew. Worked great as a mash mixer and a whirlpool tool, only issue is holding the drill for so long at only 50%-70% speed made my hand tired.

I picked up one of this for my last brew. Worked great as a mash mixer and a whirlpool tool, only issue is holding the drill for so long at only 50%-70% speed made my hand tired.

Yeah I hear you. I ran it for about 3-5 mins and let it sit for 30 mins before opening the valve.

I bought one of these paint mixers as well. Wow, what a great tool. I used to dough in, to stir during batch sparging and to whirlpool while using an immersion chiller. It really got a great whirlpool going and was much easier than using my stainless steel spoon for all these jobs. One of the best, and cheapest brewing tools I've bought.

well i ended up finding one on amazon for the same price. this looks to be a much better alternative to just trying to stir.

I left mine in a bucket of starsan and it ate the coating off the metal shaft. So I bought an all stainless steel mixer and use it all the time. It's great for doughing in, batch sparging, stirring while cooling with an immersion chiller, whirlpooling and aerating.

mixer.jpg

I have the same thing as OP, never used it for whirlpooling; I don't have a port on my BK, so I chill and dump everything into the fermenter

then I use the paint mixer to AERATE THE EFF OUT OF the wort. full speed for a minute or two and it whips up a big froth. love it

my last batch was a 1.080 beer and a big healthy pitch of super fresh yeast and even with temperature kept <65, it hit high krausen and was falling after 24 hours.

it's not nearly had enough time in the bottle, but I'm gonna have one of those tonight

Back