Adding a whirlpool to my kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
My wife was kind enough to buy me a 10 gallon kettle from GasOne. I really like it, had some issues with leaking at the ball valve, but I think I got those worked out. Many recipes these days call for Whirlpooling at the end. I don't have a way of doing that as I have the IC already in the kettle for the last 15 mins of the boil. So a spoon and a stir just won't seem to work, at least not in my mind. But I am willing to listen to any advice on that. I was also thinking of ways to try and add a whirlpool port into my kettle, but not sure how tough it would be and whether it is a good idea to drill into the kettle with the potential to mess it up (most of the DIY projects end up this way, LOL). Any suggestions out there to help? Or is whirlpooling something I can maybe skip and just do like a hop steep instead? Rock On!!!!!!!!

Before I installed a permanent whirlpool port and three-way valve on my pump, I used an identical part to the Spincycle Overboard with my keggle..One of the great advantages was that when I was finished recirc and whirlpooling, I could remove that 'cane' from the kettle and use it to fill my fermenter without disconnecting anything.

Could this also be used (inside) a bag in a BIAB situation as a general recirc ?
Hmmm. It wants to hug the wall of the kettle, and obviously collides with the lid (I move my lid aside and cover the gap with towels) but its height is adjustable so it could potentially serve as a mash recirculation outlet. But it's not intended as such. Maybe ask @Bobby_M if this would work.

Those are both fantastic ideas. No drilling means no screwing up my kettle, which is usually how my DIY projects go. I like the paddle idea, I think it will fit in the middle of my IC. See, that is why I always come here for questions and ideas. You guys and gals Rock!!!!! Rock On!!!!!

It would, but as mentioned there will be a gap in the lid (unless you have a BrewBuilt kettle with the very clever slotted opening.
Was thinlink of using a RIMS tube to keep the mash temp constant and rather than just drap the return tube over the lip of the kettle it would be used to recirc at the bottom (inside) the bag ?

I use a Spincycle for whirlpooling and chilling. I did not want to poke more holes in the kettle than necessary because each hole is a potential failure point.

It's nice to whirlpool while chilling. You get a nice hop cone in the center of the kettle before pumping to the fermenter.

Back