new to this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkd3624

Reaction score
I'm new to making beer and I need to find a way to boil the wiry as I have a glass top stove and all the pots large enough I can find say don't use on glass surfaces I'm kinda screwed. I've seen where some people use what looks like a turkey frier how do I know what I'm looking for in one of these how do u control the temp in it so it doesn't boil over???

I have a glass top stove and was able to do a full wort boil in my 40 qt stockpot straddling 2 burners on the stove (after bringing it to a boil in 2 separate pots). That being said, i'm glad my outdoor burner is operational again so I can move back outside, as that boils MUCH quicker.

I do all grain batches on my glass top stove no problem. I also straddle two burners and it takes longer to boil than gas but I can do a five gallon batch in four hours. That's cleanup and everything.

boil-over:

1) BIG pot. 10 gallons for 5 gallon batches (you'll start at 6.5, with evaporation on the 1-hour rolling boil)
2) Fermcap-S - a few drops stops boilovers in their tracks!

Turkey fryer, propane, big pot, outdoors - YES! much better than fighting your stovetop.

Back