Blichmann HERMS 15 Gallon Brewing System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawler

Reaction score
Good Afternoon! So I spent a good chunk of change on the blichmann herms system and I've realized either I'm an idiot or the system is difficult to use.

I figured out how to use the brew commander to heat up the boil/mash tun, but for whatever reason, when I turn on the pumps, they make a very loud noise and also I cant get the boiled water to move from the boil pot to the mash tun. Blichmann doesn't really have any instructional videos that are of use. Do you have any recommendations or know where I can find tutorial vidos?

Thank you in advance!

Maybe the pumps have air in them clawler and they need to be primed? Also with boiling water or wort, the pumps will struggle to pump fluid at 100 degrees C. You need to make sure the pumps are correctly mounted so that the outlet is higher than the inlet.

Sounds like you jumped in with all four feet. Running a HERMS system for the first time without having even dabbled in a single brewing pump is definitely going to come with a learning curve. I've been brewing for 17 years and I'd never own a HERMS system again.

Pull the vent ring on the pump head to vent air out of the head. If that doesn't get it going, remove the output hose's far end from whatever it's connected to and hold it over a bucket when you turn the pump on. Once it starts pumping, just close the pump throttling valve for a second and re-make the connection before opening the valve again.

Back