New to Kegging set up. HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
I am looking to start kegging. I have been "window shopping" for a while and once SWMBO said, "wouldn't that save you time? You could even build a kegerator" IT WAS ON!:rockin:

I am now looking to buy one of the basic kits until I can get the fridge and build the kegerator. I am noticing a lot of differences between pricing and was wondering if it is due to quality or who the vendors buy from. These are the kits that came to mind. Has anyone bought one of these?

Are there any you would recommend or advise to stay away from?

Should I look for a high end regulator or are they all the same in basic quality?

Anything I should avoid in general?

Where did you get yours? Happy with it?

Austin Homebrew No CO2 $134.49
More Beer W/CO2 $185.99
Corny Keg.com $163.50 W/CO2
Northern Brewer $129.99 No CO2

Thanks Everybody!:D

I got mine at kegconnection.com... I would check their prices because they are having some good sales right now. Other than that I would say get Perlick faucets. I first got the standard ones on my tower and they stick real bad. I ended up breaking the tap off one of them just to open it. So I have been replacing my faucets with perlick.

I am new to this as well. I have my first keg carbonating right now. I got a two keg dual gauge setup - Taprite gauges. It came with a manifold so I guess I can have 2 kegs at the same pressure and another keg at an entirely different on. I got a 10 lb tank because it was suggested in an article in BREW magazine. I have it in a small Whirlpool refrig. I have not tapped any yet. I got it from a supplier in PA because he offered "options" - I could pick and choose what I wanted.

I would say get Perlick faucets. I first got the standard ones on my tower and they stick real bad.

I am for sure getting Perlick faucets once I build the Kegerator.
Right now my main concern is the Regulator and the CO2 tank. Just want to make sure I don't get a lame one that I will have to replace.

That's what I just bought - plus an extra keg. I figure I'll be upgrading parts in the future but this will get me going for a while.

I just picked up that kit as well + an extra ball lock. I know I will need to pick up a bigger bottle, but the 2.5 should be a nice traveler bottle for the week long camping trips.

Steven b~

i just got my setup wednesday from kegconnection got the 2 keg fridge kit with ball locks and a johnson temp controller shipped for 300$

My advice is to go bigger than you think you will need or at least plan ahead for the inevitable expansion, I bought what I figured would be perfect for my kegging needs, I had two kegs, a 5 lb CO2 tank and a single cheap faucet tower. I now have 3 perlicks on that tower, two 5 lb tanks and a 20 lb tank, 3 regulators and I'm up to 14 kegs in the rotation.

My advice is to go bigger than you think you will need or at least plan ahead for the inevitable expansion, I bought what I figured would be perfect for my kegging needs, I had two kegs, a 5 lb CO2 tank and a single cheap faucet tower. I now have 3 perlicks on that tower, two 5 lb tanks and a 20 lb tank, 3 regulators and I'm up to 14 kegs in the rotation.

I thought I was taking that advice by going for the 4-keg kit with the distributor and 5lb CO2 tank. That was two weeks ago. I just ordered 5 more kegs (and am almost regretting not purchasing more), and have looked on craigslist for at least another 5lb CO2 tank (but a 10 or 20 would be nice too. It just never ends, does it?

I thought about that but I am moving from a 4 bedroom house to a studio apartment when I move to Portland for a year. So I am trying to balance between bottling and kegging to save space. I am trying to stick with a 3 keg max if I can fit them in a small fridge until we move back to Seattle. At that point I'll pick up my sister's deep freeser and get 5 more kegs. Like the cylons, I have a plan.

I just upgraded to a 20# tank with my kit, which I was afraid was overkill, but the way you guys are talking, I made the right move. Validation feels great! :-D

I just ordered a custom Keg Connection kit with the following parts for $610 shipped. (it was 3 boxes and 150lbs)

12 pin lock kegs (cleaned and rebuilt)
1 5lb Co2 tank
1 dual regulator
4 party faucets
4 through door faucets with handles
2 4-way manifolds with connectors
40 ft of beer line
40 ft of air hose
And all the couplings and fittings to tap 8 kegs at a time.

More than happy with the speed of shipping and the great customer service.

I too thought I was following the "go big" advice when I bought one of the deluxe 3 keg kits with a 10# CO2 cylinder. I'm trying to convince SWMBO that another 4+ kegs would make everyone happier.

Going as big on the CO2 cylinder as you can will save you money. A lot of shops charge a flat rate for labor, plus a few bucks for the actual gas. I think for a 5lb cylinder they quoted me $12 for a fill, and for my 10lb it costs $15.

Definitely go with the perlicks if you can, they're way worth it. Also, if you can get about 10' of beer line per tap, you'll be glad you did. Less screwing around with balancing later.

I purchased a 20lb tank to run 8 kegs (4 in a fridge 4 carbing up on standby). It cost me $70 filled. The larger tanks are well worth it if you plan to make a dozen kegs a year like myself. Use the 5lb for parties and such.

I didn't buy yet, but based on Keg Connection's sales, you can get a 4 keg system with a dual body regulator allowing you to serve beer and force carbonate others for just under $300.

So I put my order in for the ball lock system with the 2.5# CO2 tank and now am ANXIOUSLY awaiting its arrival!

haven't been doing this long enough to suggest anything in particular but the one thing that i'm glad about is that we purchased from our LHBS rather than ordering. like giving the guys the business and felt much more comfortable asking them questions since we bought stuff from them. from questions about building the keezer to trying to get the lid on one of the kegs they were great.

another plus with a local purchase is if you have any problems easy return.

my 2 cents

I am being told that I need to have constant temp or else I cannot force carb properly?
I do not have a beer refrigerator. Can I just put my corny in the regular fridge for now or not?

You'll be fine. A friend of mine has two cornies in his regular fridge and they carb up just fine.

I just ordered a custom Keg Connection kit with the following parts for $610 shipped. (it was 3 boxes and 150lbs)

12 pin lock kegs (cleaned and rebuilt)
1 5lb Co2 tank
1 dual regulator
4 party faucets
4 through door faucets with handles
2 4-way manifolds with connectors
40 ft of beer line
40 ft of air hose
And all the couplings and fittings to tap 8 kegs at a time.

More than happy with the speed of shipping and the great customer service.

Definitely go with the perlicks if you can, they're way worth it. Also, if you can get about 10' of beer line per tap, you'll be glad you did. Less screwing around with balancing later.

+ Another vote for Perlicks buy them now or later!!! I am willing to bet that you will want to increase the amount of beer lines you have. If you want to have 8 kegs tapped at once you might want @80' of beer line, I have found that 10 feet at 8-12 lbs works best for distribution of beer, it helps reducing foam, also need to make sure you have a way to regulate the temp....I keep my freezer at @ 38 degrees and have 8 to 10 kegs in there plus a few bottles run 5 beer taps @10 feet, at 10 PSI, and the 6th tap is a dedicated Soda tap for the kids w/20' of line for root beer, foams worse than beer!!! I have tried 5 feet of line for beer before on my first mini frig two keg system with picnic taps and it didn't work well. I have separate CO2 tanks for the beer and soda, 5lbs and 20lbs. Best of luck :mug:

haven't been doing this long enough to suggest anything in particular but the one thing that i'm glad about is that we purchased from our LHBS rather than ordering. like giving the guys the business and felt much more comfortable asking them questions since we bought stuff from them. from questions about building the keezer to trying to get the lid on one of the kegs they were great. another plus with a local purchase is if you have any problems easy return. my 2 cents

When I built my system...see pic to left I took my build list and prices off the internet to my LHBS and said this is what I can get this stuff for on line and from where, gave him a few days, and he could only do better on three items....I too am all about supporting any local business, but I am also a HUGE fan of supporting my own financial freedom, and saving my hard earned money for me and my family!!! I recommend getting your stuff where ever works best for you, and your pocket book! I frequent my LHBS at least weekly, great guys who will help you with anything they can....always going down to get xy or z because I don't have it....

ahh I too am in the market for a kegging kit. I just sold 6 cornys for $25 each and have $150 to spend, but what I want is above my price range looks like I need at least $250

requirements min 2 keg setup
would prefer 2 regulators
min 5# CO2 tank
Perlick 525SS faucets

I still have 4 Cornys that fit in my soon to be Keezer.

so far i have my eye on this gem.
http://www.kegcowboy.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=135
its only one regulator, but I can add a second once I get 4 kegs filled up and a pipeline built up. price comes out to $231 with 5# tank and Perlick 525SS

KegConnection said that I just subtract $25 per keg from their kits and thats the price I'd pay so I might need to shop around more to find the best deal on a 2 tap setup.

-=Jason=-

Latest posts

Back