New to cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
Give me your thoughts. I would like to juice 2.5 gallons of apple juice and 2.5 gallons of watermelon juice. Mix them together. Boil 1 gallon of water and add hops. Mix that in with my juice mix. Pitch yeast. Give it 1 week primary, I week secondary, bottle for 2. Sound stupid???

1. MIx watermelon juice and apple juice
2. taste it
3, ?????
4. profit!

see if you like how it taste before you start fermenting an entire batch

Watermelon juice will have a fairly low OG -- probably want to add sugar up to your target. Dunno about hopping it -- sounds a bit odd to me, but couldn't hurt to try! Maybe a small batch to test first?

I was always under the impression that watermelon was full of sugar, I know being on a cleanse I had to stay away from watermelon and cherries because of the sugar content. Just toss a hydrometer in there and find out! Also tasting the must before you make a huge batch could be helpful, but I am one for experiments so I say go for it and post your results!

I figured if I added hops to the batch it would make it less perishable. Not sure how it will turn out but that it what is awesome about making fermentable beverages is the experiment!

Back