New to brewing and new to the site!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandpasbrewery

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers.

Just thought I'd introduce my self, I'm Mitch and currently live in the city of "the nearly dead or newly wed," also known as Victoria BC.
I'm actually not a Grandpa, I don't even have kids yet either! Ha!
What I am is a 32y/o Automotive Master Technician, worked on everything from basic beaters all the way up to being 2nd Tech for a Professional GrandAm Porsche Team, who is now working on his Civil/Environmental Engineering degree, Specializing in Water filtration and resource management.... and Possibly a masters in Brewery Engineering if this turns out to be a fruitful hobby for me! ;) The title "Grandpa" was dubbed onto me by some of the much much younger guys I go to school with. Lets just say it's weird to go to school again and even weirder when it is with kids who could be my teenage mistake! I find myself utter the words "when I was your age," or "back in my day..." far more than i thought I ever would. At this rate, I figure it's another 5 years before I am on my front porch screaming at the local kids to "stay off my lawn" from my rocking chair.

Just got into brewing last month and am about to fire my 4th batch of Specialty grain/LME. Lots of fun so far and coming from the automotive world where most everything is very structured, I am beyond impressed with the level of innovation and skill behind all of the DYI projects. Have already built myself a monster stirplate thanks to a few of the DYIs on here and have ordered a couple of STC-1000s to wire up to a pair of craigslist fridges I'm picking up in the next few weeks. I am also working on plans for a Brutus 10 and a couple of plastic conical fermenters as soon as fund allow.

I am mostly into Belgians, Wheat/Weise/Wit, and smooth lagers--all in the higher ABV ranges--but I hope to be able to find my way into a couple of mild IPA's in the 40-50IBU range. I really cannot stand an overly hoppy beer.

Already have 9 recipes designed on Beersmith with a few more ideas in the works and a long list that is ever growing that were posted on here. Although with none of the batches I have done are even close to being consumption ready; so I have no idea how I'm doing beyond, no infections so far and they smell awesome! *knock on wood*

Anyways, hope this site doesn't turn into another time burglar from my studies... :tank:

Latest posts

Back