New shiny toys..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlightyBrewer

Reaction score
Just taken delivery of some shiny brew-ware...

dscf03626vp.jpg

Now my path to the shiny side of the brew is almost complete....
star-wars-smiley-007.gif

Yeah, I was well excited until I discovered that both plastic lids have hairline cracks in them! :mad: They weren't bought reconditioned or tested, just secondhand. I'll have to pressure test them first, but may have to invest in some metal lids and seal sets for good measure.

Man, it always sucks when you get a new toy that you're so proud of and then realize that something's wrong with. Even though it can be fixed I want my instant gratification.

Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of kegging!

billybrew said:
Man, it always sucks when you get a new toy that you're so proud of and then realize that something's wrong with. Even though it can be fixed I want my instant gratification.

Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of kegging!
Like that time that I got my welding machine for Christmas, but it was weeks before an electrician could come and hardwire it...

BlightyBrewer said:
Yeah, I was well excited until I discovered that both plastic lids have hairline cracks in them!
Plastic lids? Odd that a SS corny would have anything other than a SS lid.

Hold tight Blighty... once you've replaced the lids, you'll be in bottle-free heaven. :D You'll like having the dual reg, too. I have an American brown and a hefeweizen in the fridge, each on their own regulator. Try to do that with one and you end up with a flat hefe or some foamy brown.

Just a thought!!

But i'm wondering if you mean the black handles are cracked (which isn't a big deal) as opposed to the actual flip top opening. Just wondering!!

IGOR

Igorstien said:
Just a thought!!

But i'm wondering if you mean the black handles are cracked (which isn't a big deal) as opposed to the actual flip top opening. Just wondering!!

IGOR

Or the plastic feet on the lock handle?

Hairline cracks are in the lids, but after contacting the guy who sold them to me, my mind has been put at rest. The kegs were pressure tested to 130psi, and no leaks. Since I will only be pressurising to 3-12psi, it shouldn't be a problem. Plus the guy said he would replace the lids straight away if I have problems. :cool:

Interestingly, the cracks are in exactly the same position (in the exposed area of the lid with the over-centre lock in the open position)...which indicates that they are caused when the lids are thumped to break the seal prior to re-filling....that's what Lt Columbo told me anyway!

columbo.gif

dscf03626vp.jpg

Blighty - get yourself some keg lube. It's worth the money. At the rate I've been using the stuff, I should get 10 years out of the little container I got.

When I first got my kegs, it was obvious they were fresh out of the soda industry. The tops had a ton of little dings in them from knocking them loose and I could immediately see why. It took two solid whacks with a hammer onto a chunk of wood to free them.

Since I put the lube on the new lid rings, I can open the lids by applying pressure with my thumbs. Plus, I haven't had any leaks. It barely takes any lube - I just rub a little on my fingers and then roll/drag the o-ring through until I can see it's completely covered. Well worth the cost.

Ditto on the plastic question. I've never (in 35 years) seen plastic used on cornies for anything other than handles, the bottoms and the little feet on the bail. Got pictures?

I just picked up a second regulator to add to the kegger, so I can keep different pressures on the ales and soda kegs. I've decided that opening the kegger to adjust things is resulting in too much ice build-up.

I shall definitely be using some keg lube, or would vaseline (petroleum jelly) do the job?

Here are some pictures of the plastic corny lids.

keglid7zm.jpg

lidclose19jl.jpg

lidclose21un.jpg

Not sure about the Vaseline idea. If the o-rings are rubber, and I believe they are, you wouldn't want to use petrolium jelly because it will break the rubber down (which is why they have K-Y jelly :D ).

I think I dropped $5 or 6 on my can of lube. I can't see using it up before the start of the next decade.

By the way, I started dabbing a little on the plastic feet where the lever contacts the top of the keg. Makes popping that thing over a snap. You can see in your pictures how much of a shiny spot they've worn.

DrewsBrews said:
Blighty - get yourself some keg lube. It's worth the money. At the rate I've been using the stuff, I should get 10 years out of the little container I got.

When I first got my kegs, it was obvious they were fresh out of the soda industry. The tops had a ton of little dings in them from knocking them loose and I could immediately see why. It took two solid whacks with a hammer onto a chunk of wood to free them.

Since I put the lube on the new lid rings, I can open the lids by applying pressure with my thumbs. Plus, I haven't had any leaks. It barely takes any lube - I just rub a little on my fingers and then roll/drag the o-ring through until I can see it's completely covered. Well worth the cost.
Here is a photo of one of my lids. Someone beat the devil out of it. I had to place some cloth over it and tap it to open it myself. The O-ring was flat not round. I put in a new O-ring with some keg lube to hopefully prevent problems in the future. It still seals so I'm going to use it.
Cornylid.jpg

DrewsBrews said:
Not sure about the Vaseline idea. If the o-rings are rubber, and I believe they are, you wouldn't want to use petrolium jelly because it will break the rubber down (which is why they have K-Y jelly :D ).
Generic keg lube is usually one of two things, silicone compound (grease/lubricant), or petrol gel. The differences between silicone compound and petrol gel are the price, and some of the properties. The price of petrol gel is about 6 times less than the price of silicone compound. Petrol gel also can inhibit head retention.

Some suggested replacements have been Vaseline, and KY Jelly. Vaseline can be used, but it does not have the properties of being tasteless and odorless. KY Jelly is water soluble, and could become dissolved in the beer. It also dries over time, and would not be a good choice.

I'm currently researching Petrol Gel. On the Petro Gel label is says that it is U.S.P. Mineral Oil along with other USP ingredients. See Petro Gel. They even offer a free sample on the site. Be careful, I have seen mention of it causing a flat head.

Wild

Okay - but if silicone keg lube is made for/safe for this application, is slicker than snot and won't break down over time, and costs a mere $4-5 for a 1 oz container that will last for years (unless you apply it with a paint brush or run a brewery) I fail to see the point of looking anywhere else.

I mean... c'mon, how tightly can you pinch a penny? ;)

Only problem with aquiring two kegs is that you shortly find your self wishing you had a third for one on deck. Then of course it would be handy to have another spare and a couple for fermenters and oh yeah now I need connectors for cross connecting and.... :drunk:

Latest posts

Back