New recipe - dumb idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dime1622

Reaction score
So I decided I wanted to do an extract hefe but kicked up a notch. The original bill was:

6 lb wheat malt extract (liquid)
1 lb wheat malt extract (dry)
1 oz Tettnang @ 60 min (4.7% AAU)

My aim is to increase the OG slightly and add Simcoe hops to add some of that grapefruity flavor and aroma, plus a little bitterness. Ultimately, I want a banana-grapefruit hefe with a little extra spice. My new plan is:

6 lb wheat malt extract (liquid)
3 lb wheat malt extract (dry)
1 oz Tettnang @ 60 min (4.7% AAU)
0.5 oz Simcoe @ 10 min (12% AAU)
0.5 oz Simcoe @ knockout (12% AAU)

Thoughts? Or am I doing it wrong?

Would be different for sure - I would ditch the flame out addition and toss the entire ounce of Simcoe in at 10 minutes. As your OG increases your IBUs decrease - this would put you right around 29/30 IBU which to me would better suit a beer that will most likely be high 6% - low 7% ABV.

My recommendation - stick to the 6lbs liquid, 1lbs dry and follow your altered hop schedule:

1oz Tett @ 60
.5oz Simcoe @ 10
.5oz Simcoe @ flame out

Toss in Wyeast 3638 (Bavarian Wheat) and ferment it in the lower 70's. You'll get your banana.

Just food for thought though - go with what you're feeling. That's the fun of the hobby, experiment! It's tough to brew something completely disgusting, well... usually.. :)

I don't think you are going to get the flavor out of it that you are looking for. I'm not a huge fan of Simcoe and Hefes don't do well with late hops. What yeast are you using? Most of the flavor and aromatics come from the hefe yeast, so late and dry hopping would make it a little muddled.

Back